Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up at 20 gallon long at petco today during the $1 per gallon sale. I plan to use this tank as hospital/problem fish etc tank. Any recommendations for a filtration set up that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sunsun has several nano canisters that are fairly cheap on ebay and amazon. Even their larger high volume canisters are very reasonable. I have been using them for years with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
Air driven sponge filters, power filters that hang on back such as Aquaclear 50 or 70, and as suggested a small canister filter.

What amount of money are you looking at spending and will the tank be set up all the time?

A hospital tank may require the ability to disinfect filter media and equipment prior to reuse depending on illness treated.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know you said a QT/hospital tank... but are you planning to keep some fish in it all the time to keep the filter cycled? If not then I would say like Deeda suggested just an AC50 or biowheel 200. That way you can run it on another tank then move it to the Qt tank when needed (if you don't plan to have fish in the 20g all the time that is)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve C said:
I know you said a QT/hospital tank... but are you planning to keep some fish in it all the time to keep the filter cycled? If not then I would say like Deeda suggested just an AC50 or biowheel 200. That way you can run it on another tank then move it to the Qt tank when needed (if you don't plan to have fish in the 20g all the time that is)
That sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve C said:
If I were to run the HOB filter on my big tank until needed, how long would my new tank need to be fish ready once I moved the HOB over to it?

·
Registered
783 Posts
WowieMalawi said:
Steve C said:
If I were to run the HOB filter on my big tank until needed, how long would my new tank need to be fish ready once I moved the HOB over to it?
Assuming water in the tank at the proper temperature, about: 0 (zero) seconds ... :D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yep as wryan said, it would not take any time at all. That's pretty much what most people do for QT tanks including myself. I have a 29g QT tank that stays empty till needed, and I keep a small hang on back filter running on one of my bigger tanks all the time. Then when I need to QT a fish I just fill the 29g, dechlor the water and add the filter and you are good to go. Only time to wait is when you first buy the filter and put it on your bigger tank, it'll take a couple weeks to become established but once its established you are all set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts