Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm somewhat new to the hobby and totally new to the community. I acquired 4 multis a couple of years ago, at the time all I had available was a 5 gallon. I bought some substrate and shells and made that their home until now. I've moved them into a 20 gallon long now have 3 left, lost one about a year ago. Now that they are in their new home I see them a bit more but they only stay to the right of the tank. I've tried scattering the shells and they just stay by the filter. There's about 8 shells in the tank now with rocks and caves in between. Now my questions are if there are a dither fish that would work in that size tank. I really want to see more of them. I think I have 3 males, could that also be the issue? Is there a safe way to add more since I've had these for so long? I essentially wanted a colony but I don't think that can happen anymore from what I've read. I want more activity and the tank and I understand I might need more of them for them to feel safe. My local fish stores do not carry these. I have since lost touch with the person I got these from. They haven't been easy to find in my area. Also, do any bottom feeders work with these little guys?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
I would skip the dithers and bottom feeders and add six more multifasciatus and triple the shells. People often recommend 100 shells with multi's. Yes too many males is likely the problem.

Try an online vendor, I buy almost all my fish online. Make sure the vendor you choose is reputable...use of complete/correct scientific names is something to look for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts