Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm about to order the white cold cathodes for my 55g and I was wondering if 4 would be overkill? I'm just not to sure if just 2 12" would be ample lighting for the 4' of tank.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm not aware of any cathodes that would be bright enough to be used as the main lighting in a tank. Perhaps I'm out of the loop on this tho :oops:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, ok. I've never seen/heard it done either. I guess I could get 4, wire em up with one of the adjustable RS dc>ac adapter and crank up the voltage to make them bright enough? I do plan on having 2 blue for moonlighting though.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I think there would be a lot more people using cathodes for main aquarium lighting if they were bright enough, which leads me to believe that they aren't. I could be wrong, but I don't think so ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up getting this sweet rig from **** electronics. I'm cost about the same as a Marineland 24" Double LED light fixture after I got all the right connectors and heat shrink to water/condensation proof all the connections.

Its called OLS LED lighting, about $39 for the main unit with the remote and multi color LEDs. And then $24 for two more 12" LED light strips plus and 12" extention cable. I had to get an cable splitter/extender to get the set up I wanted and that was another $12. So it after taxes and another extension cable for $7 it came out to be around $92.

Its got an IR remote that you can change the LEDs color, fade one color, flash through all the colors and flash red, green and blue. It runs off a 12v power adapter that came with it.

I'm sorry to talk about and not having pictures to explain it and show what I've done, BUT I should be adding water, gravel and my THR by the end of the week so I should have pictures by the end of the week so bear with me!

Thanks, Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts