Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm fairly new to the hobby, and I recently set up two 40 Gallon breeders to start breeding. For one tank, I purchased 6 Electric Blue Ahli females that are all around 3.5-4 inches. I then purchased a beautiful male that's around 6.5 inches and I didn't realize how much bigger he was until they were all in the tank together. He's way bigger than them so I was curious, will small females breed with males that are MUCH bigger in size?

In my other 40, I have a 4 inch Rubin Red male for breeding, and some females. I wanted to try breeding hybrids for myself, so I purchased 5 females of 3 seemingly different strains. The male has been trying to get some action going, but the females continue to resist and now I'm wondering, will the females be super picky breeding with a different strain or is crossbreeding as easy as regular? I know there are a bunch of factors playing a role, but I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
For the Sciaenochromis fryeri smaller females will spawn with larger males if they ate mature.

Regarding the rubins, if they are all rubins with just different coloration, they will spawn when ready. It may take longer if they are all different species but probably will still happen.

It can take a year in a new tank for spawning to occur, and longer if any of the fish are not mature enough to spawn.

You might have trouble with these fish in 36" tanks, keep a watchful eye.

·
Registered
783 Posts
DJRansome said:
For the Sciaenamous fryeri smaller females will spawn with larger males if they ate mature.
Have had that occur here - three females 3", three males 4" ... one female spawned once a few months ago, have since gotten rid of two males. Just did a pwc tonight ... we'll see what happens.

DJRansome said:
You might have trouble with these fish in 36" tanks, keep a watchful eye.
Yeah ... I have the above in 4' tank (55 gallon) ... plan to move them 6' tank in the next few months.

It took me about a year to grow them out from 1 1/4" to 3" to 4" ...

Considering they can get up to 7", he might just go ahead and plan for bigger accommodations in the future.

Clock is ticking ... :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Yea I plan on getting a 75g or bigger within the next few months. Really hyped on breeding these guys right now so I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
+1 on the 75. That's the smallest I would do with Fryeri. Kudos on getting 6 females. You may want to add another species as a dither fish of sorts, if the male starts beating on his girls too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts