Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I im planning on picking up 10 demasoni and 5 labs from another hobbyist to stock my 55 gallon tank, wondering if 2 hours in bags will be too much for the fish, easy are around 2.5 inches. I was planning on bagging each fish and placing the bags in coolers to mitigate temperature swings. Any problems with this? Fish are shipped in bags for over 24 hours, the only difference is i dont have the provisions to add oxygen to the bag.

The tank is ready to accept them, and they will be the only fish in the tank, so once they are acclimated, they should be safe.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
You should be just fine with the plan. One fish per bag should work great depending on bag size. I like to use 1/3 water and 2/3 air for regular fish bags, no need to worry about using bottled oxygen if you don't have access.

If using very thin fish bags, may want to consider double bagging just in case to avoid leaks from spiny fins.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, I've driven to Jacksonville, which is 2 hours and Daytona which is around 4 hours. Even with stopping for lunch or dinner the fish all arrive fine.

I would advise, if possible, practice bagging water if you can get your hands on some bags. I found trapping the air inside is not as easy as people at the story makes it look. I bagged all my fish recently to move and some of the bags were questionable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome, the seller says he has bags, so hopefully they are the same quality as a fish store and not just ziploc bags.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Sounds good, hopefully he has what you need. On a side note, some sellers use breather bags and those are meant to be fully filled with water and NO air so different bagging procedure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deeda said:
Sounds good, hopefully he has what you need. On a side note, some sellers use breather bags and those are meant to be fully filled with water and NO air so different bagging procedure.
Ok, i will double check with him when i get there. if they aren't sufficient then i will try to find a pet store locally that will sell me a handful

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the seller was great, had tons of tanks and knew what he was doing. fish made the journey without issue, and seem to be acclimating well. thanks for the replies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts