Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 90 gallon with a Rena smartheater 300W I Have a gift certificate for Fosters and was thinking of using some of it to buy a second heater. Maybe a 150W? I don't want to over heat. What is the deal with 2 heaters? and what temp could they both be on in 1 tank? Basically should I get another Heater? or am I good to go?

Fosters only Has a Rena up to 200W Would a 300W & 200W be sufficient for 90 Gallon?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Ah the great debate...some different thoughts on the subject:
If one fails in the off position, the other will kick in.
Two heaters set to roughly the same temperature will lighten the load for each other.
However, some say by using two heaters, you're increasing the likelihood that one will fail in the on position.
Then there are those who use 2 under powered heaters, say two 75 watt for a 55g, the thinking being that if one fails in the on position, it will take a lot longer to 'cook' your fish.
Food for thought.
I don't have advice one way or the other except buy quality heaters with good reviews.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
GTZ said:
Then there are those who use 2 under powered heaters, say two 75 watt for a 55g, the thinking being that if one fails in the on position, it will take a lot longer to 'cook' your fish.
that is my habit... it has worked when I had a heater failure... the temp on the tank only dropped 10 degrees... no illnesses after replacing the heater despite what I think was a 24 hour duration at that low temp.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use 2 heaters for 2 reasons:

1- Obvious backup in case of failure

2- My second heater is a digital fluval E200 wich shows me the exact water temp at all time. The digital display will turn red or blue if the temp fluctuates more than 2 degree of what you set it to. It brings peace of mind to see the green led, no need to be close to the tank to know everything is alright. I also like the look if this heater :p

Both heaters are set to 25 celcius and they seem to share the load, altho i suspect my rena 250w to be doing most of the heating. Either way i'm really glad I got the digital one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know this post is about heaters but I have to ask, A. Mike what kind of light or light bulb do you use to get that blue coloring in your tank?It is outstanding.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thx , for lightning I use 2x 24" powerglow in front, and 2x 24" actinic in back, all are 20w t8 bulbs. The blue is from the actinic but i'm not sure I like it.. it makes my Yellow Labs look like Vomit-Green Labs :lol: The Blue zebra's and demasonis look really good with actinic tho.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jrf said:
Is the 300 watt holding the temp where you want it? If it is, I don't think a second heater isn't going to be a useful addition.
Sure...I have set on 81 on one side..by the outflow so the heater gets the flow of water pushing it through the tank. The other side I have the thermometer and it reads 77-78

Was just a thought..not really heater for back up persay but more for even distribution throughout tank..but I think I have that. Thanks all

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well if its 48inch it would be a 40w bulb i think. Just check the wattage on your current bulb and make sure it is T8. I have to warn you tho that actinic only use blue in the color spectrum. Its almost like a blacklight. It will make some color look dull (like yellow and red) and others will glow (blue green white). Runnin a tank with only actinic might look unnatural.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Boy the stuff we read and hear "Two heater set at the same temp increases the likely hood that on will fail in the on position.
I had 4 300w heaters on my 150 and 180 gal tanks. Heaters have build in temp sensors so unless something go wrong they will shut off. they will not overheat the water because of that feature. I have been at this for over 25years and never ever had a tank overheat.

·
Registered
929 Posts
smitty said:
I have been at this for over 25years and never ever had a tank overheat.
Consider yourself lucky. I have had a heater stick on and so have many other people. Just go to the reviews section and you'll see it's a problem that happens often enough to take it into consideration when planing your heater "strategy".

·
Registered
26 Posts
smitty said:
Heaters have build in temp sensors so unless something go wrong they will shut off. they will not overheat the water because of that feature.
"that feature" isn't very reliable. You have been lucky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts