Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Otopharynx Lithobates and my Taiwan reef have both developed sunken bellies over the last few months. Both eat when fed NLS pellets once per day. These 2 happen to be pretty docile generally and do take some chasings more than usual .

Could this be caused from stress only or do I need to start thinking about a treatment? If so what are the best treatments for this ailment?

I keep up with water changes and filter maintainance and this tank has been established for 4 or so years. These fish have been living in it for 2-3 years if not more.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Try feeding them metronidazole soaked food, the entire tank, for the next ten days. NLS pellets work great for making your own with Seachem's powder/granular met. You want to dissolve one or two scoops, (comes with the met) in a teaspoon of water and then soak the pellets in it and feed your fish.
If that doesn't do it we can try something that is more for just bacterial.

Robin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'm on it. Just one question to anybody who's tried this method, I noticed that the Seachem Met granules dont dissolve that well how long do you normally dissolve it for? I waited 15 mins and still saw some crystals undissolved.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I've done the Seachem met with NLS pellets and yes, you're right--it's hard to get it to dissolve. Seachem sells another product, I believe it's called Focus, and that you use with the met and pellets to bind it all together. I didn't do that. What I did do was to dose on the heavy side and then when I dumped the food into the tank I dumped any undisolved met in with it. You don't want to over-feed the fish but if you feed them twice a day and let the undissolved met go into the water that will help.

I also seem to remember someone saying that they microwaved the met and water to get it to dissolve. Might try that.

Anyone else have any methods they use?

Robin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all thank you for the help. With sunken stomachs, if it gets too far along does it cause irrepairable internal damage?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Well I suppose if it gets too far along it could be a problem but I've had fish with this problem and had them make a full recovery with the met-soaked food. The fact that they are still eating is a good indication that the fish are otherwise healthy. That means alot when you're trying to heal them. A fish's immune system can get so beat down that they just can't respond to the medication. Doesn't sound like your fish are any where near that bad.

Let me know how they do with the met
Robin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts