Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two days I lost a year old Yellow Lab and today I lost a month old Venustus.

I water change 50% once a week, 2 days ago my nitrites were high, around 40-80 and today the same just before the water change. Is this high enough to kill them? They otherwise looked fine and neither gets bullied, the yellows stay to themselves and nobody messes with the venustus. I'm at a loss and very concerned about the rest of them, even though they look fine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ironspider said:
In the last two days I lost a year old Yellow Lab and today I lost a month old Venustus.

I water change 50% once a week, 2 days ago my nitrites were high, around 40-80 and today the same just before the water change. Is this high enough to kill them? They otherwise looked fine and neither gets bullied, the yellows stay to themselves and nobody messes with the venustus. I'm at a loss and very concerned about the rest of them, even though they look fine.
If your nitrItes were that high, you're lucky to have any fish left. Your tank isn't cycled.

If you mean your nitrAtes were that high, they're high but that won't kill them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
is;

If your posting "nitrites were high" was not a typo, then I have to agree with sm...please give more info on tank...did you maybe kill an established Nitrogen cycle?

Cheers

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, the nitrates are that high, nitrites and ammonia are perfect ph is 8.0. Tank is a 55 gal 48" wide. I now have about 20 fish in there. Great filtration, two cascade 1000's canisters.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
The nitrates of 80 will not kill them quickly. Sudden changes in nitrates (even a sudden drop) can contribute problems.

With a 55G and all-male I would reduce fish to 10 individuals that mature <= six inches. Try to manage aggression.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
The nitrates of 80 will not kill them quickly. Sudden changes in nitrates (even a sudden drop) can contribute problems.

With a 55G and all-male I would reduce fish to 10 individuals that mature <= six inches. Try to manage aggression.
It's not all male, in fact I have no idea of the sex of most of the fish, except i know for sure one of my rusties is female as she had babies twice. I have 1 venutus sex unknown, 2 demasoni I think both male, 3 yellow labs sex unkown, 3 rusty 2m 1f, 2 yellow tail acai sex unknown, 4 cobalt blue 2 of them are definately male as they are big and fight each other and each control half the tank the other two idk as they are smaller and more of a purple rather than a baby blue like the big ones. And finally I believe there are 4 baby rusties hiding in the rocks but they are 1/4"

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Even with mixed gender that is 1m:4f you would not want more than 15 fish. Your stocking is more toward lots of species and small numbers of each.

I think you continue to have stressed fish that end up getting sick. I would make stocking changes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts