Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I removed my holding females in my 55g mbuna tank. I have never really been too interested in breeding but of course the gf wants me to try and raise the fry. I removed to female labs that were holding. One looks slightly farther along than the other. I was originally just going to isolate the one and let her spit on her own. Now that I removed 2 my question is will they be less likely to spit if they are not isolated or is stripping them the best way to go?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'm not sure if they'd be less likely to spit if they are not isolated from each other. Sometimes just the stress of the move will make them do it. But I usually just strip them at 18-21 days. IMO, it's less stress on them and you can get them right back into the main tank. What else are they in the tank with?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrgRcr said:
I'm not sure if they'd be less likely to spit if they are not isolated from each other. Sometimes just the stress of the move will make them do it. But I usually just strip them at 18-21 days. IMO, it's less stress on them and you can get them right back into the main tank. What else are they in the tank with?
It's just the 2 holding females in 10g tank with a cycled sponge filter. In the 55g they are in there with Lab Pearlmuts and Mainganos.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Have they produced fry before? I was in the same situation, with 2 holding in a 10g.
Unbeknownst to me, #1 swallowed (the buccal cavity still looked full), when #2 spit (around day 18 ), #1 ate all but 2 fry. I'm in the same situation again, but with 3, one in a 10g each, and 1 in the 55. I plan on stripping each on day 18.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTZ said:
Have they produced fry before? I was in the same situation, with 2 holding in a 10g.
Unbeknownst to me, #1 swallowed (the buccal cavity still looked full), when #2 spit (around day 18 ), #1 ate all but 2 fry. I'm in the same situation again, but with 3, one in a 10g each, and 1 in the 55. I plan on stripping each on day 18.
Yes they have produced fry before and a couple actually survived. Not sure which female it was or if it was both that produced. The problem is I don't know how long each have been holding. At least 2 weeks on the one cause her clutch does look bigger than the other.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Two holding moms in the 10g may not be the best. If you know when they will both be within a couple of days of the 18 day mark, one way or the other, I would strip them and leave the fry in the 10g. They will be fine in there for a while until they grow a bit. In my experiences with putting a mom in a tank to spit, she almost always spit at night. Then you have no way of knowing if all of the fry survived, or if she ate some. That's why I started stripping. I remove her, strip, and put her right back. And they always seem to eat at the first feeding after.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have heard of people stripping one of the fry and if its not far enough along, then you can either continue stripping and tumble them or leave her be and see if she takes the one back in. If not then you only have lost one of them, but then you would know for sure the condition of them.

I have never done this so I can't say how readily she will take the one back in if that is your plan, but have read it other posts before. HTHs.

Ps- A tumbler is really easy to make in hurry if you need to. I just used the larger end of a gravel vac and stretched a filter media bag over the bottom, then I used the gravel "Claw" to create a buffer so the other fish couldnt get at the fry.

One more thing where I messed up, make sure you stuff some sponge or something in the top hole where you run the air line through so you they cant squeeze out like they did on me.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The first time from my Dem i got 6.

And yes just put the mesh bag or screen over the bottom with a rubber band.

Make sure there arent any larger fish in the same tank that can get at the bottom of the mesh or they will suck them right through it and plug make sure they cant float up, rising up with the bubble and float out the top anywhere.

I put a piece of Aqua clear prefilter sponge in the hole with the air line to kinda block it but still let water and are flow through

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wait, you said they had egg sacks. Does that mean they're swimming but still have the yolk? If they're free-swimming, you don't need to tumble.

Depends on the size of your female and how many time she's bred, for brood size, but 8 sounds about right for the first time or two.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Wait, you said they had egg sacks. Does that mean they're swimming but still have the yolk? If they're free-swimming, you don't need to tumble.

Depends on the size of your female and how many time she's bred, for brood size, but 8 sounds about right for the first time or two.
No they aren't free swimming. Wiggling a little but that's about it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you make a tumbler try to get a 90 elbow/bend at the top. This allows you to create a gentler tumbling action since air will build up and bubble out somewhat randomly.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dotbomb said:
If you make a tumbler try to get a 90 elbow/bend at the top. This allows you to create a gentler tumbling action since air will build up and bubble out somewhat randomly.
I ended up drilling some small holes at the top of my DIY tumbler to allow for a smoother tumbling action.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. I got the tumbler set up and was able to keep 6 of the 8 fry. The other female ended up spitting on her own and the fry were farther along without egg sacks but they all were dead. I have since returned both females back into the main tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts