Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so like 2 weeks ago i noticed that my 3inch lemon jake and my 3inch german red werent eating... a few days ago the lemon jake died and now i noticed that the german red has some bloat.. i took him out of my 125G and quarantined him in a 10 gallon that i previously had fry in so its cycled and had recently put a juvie snow white scoloffi, juvie afra cobue, juvie T. duboisi that were in a different tank i had some RR tropheus in that also got bloat and died so i quarantined them and started dosing with metronizadole jus to be safe because the duboisi wasnt really eating much... so my question is... should i dose the 125G tank the german red came out of? or jus continue dosing the 10G that all the quarantined fish are in? i just ordered clout because i read an article on here that said clout cures bloat whereas metronizadole only stops it from spreading... should i dose the 125 with the metronizadole (wow thats annoying to spell over and over) even thou no other fish show symptoms? continue dosing the 10 g with it or wait for the clout and dose with both? also the met bottle says: add one tablet into aquarium for each 10 gallons of water to be treated. repeat in 24 hours. it is suggested that a partial water change be made between treamtents .. it is suggested that medication baths continue for 5 days and not for more than 10 days. discontinue treatment if no improvement is noted within 5 days... that implies i should change the water every day before i treat again or wait 5 days and then do a water change.. its very vague.. the article i read said something like every 2 days change the water which is what the tetracycline and erythromycin *** used previously for things say... please help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i read that article. so should i not dose the 125 gallon tank with metronazidole and jus soak their food in it? or can i jus crush up the pills and put them in the tank and use the clout when it gets here for the quarantine tank?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and if i am going to dose the whole tank with the metronazidole do i follow the same procedure as the clout?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also i have 3 fish in the quarantine tank who are eating.. should i not feed them even thou they are eating? it seems like not feeding the fish for 6 days is unhealthy for them if they are eating fine..

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
m1ke715m said:
yea i read that article. so should i not dose the 125 gallon tank with metronazidole and jus soak their food in it? or can i jus crush up the pills and put them in the tank and use the clout when it gets here for the quarantine tank?
If everyone in there is eating, use metro soaked food, otherwise dose the tank with metro.
What brand metro is it? Fish Zole?

m1ke715m said:
and if i am going to dose the whole tank with the metronazidole do i follow the same procedure as the clout?
25% water change and vacuum, remove chemical filtration, dose 100mg/10gallons every 2 days for a week. 50% water change when you're done the treatment.

m1ke715m said:
also i have 3 fish in the quarantine tank who are eating.. should i not feed them even thou they are eating? it seems like not feeding the fish for 6 days is unhealthy for them if they are eating fine..
I would feed them metro soaked food, careful not to overfeed.

Also, leave lighting off for the duration, test occasionally for ammonia, increase tank temps to ~80F and increase surface agitation.
If you plan on using Clout when it arrives, perform your end of treatment water change, wait 2 days then begin treatment, no feeding during treatment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so the 2 tanks that i took bloated fish out of but no1 else is affected and they are eating ill jus feed metro soaked food..
how much metro do i soak the food with? and how do i go about doing this? how much metro do i use and what jus mix it with water? how much water? yea im using fish zole each tablet is 250mg.. im feeding them flakes mostly a mix of a bunch of dif kinds of flakes in the pm and mix of diff kinds of pellets sometimes in the am i feed what i think is a small amount each time say what they can eat in 2 minutes... can i mix it with falkes and pellets? how much metro/water for how long before i feed?

25% water change and vacuum, remove chemical filtration, dose 100mg every 2 days for a week. 50% water change when you're done the treatment
dose 100mg? the tablets are 250mg.. and it says use 1 tablet per 10 gallons the fish are in a 10 gallon...and i dosed it yest.. so i should wait till 2moro and dose again.. half a pill? i been crushing them up and then putting the powder in and beating it with an egg whip lol i have a hagen spongue filter with 2 small air pumps t-d into it and a hob filter raited at up to 15 gallons on it..

and thank you for your help the thought of losing all my fish that *** spent probly over $1000 on makes me sick

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
m1ke715m said:
dose 100mg? the tablets are 250mg.. and it says use 1 tablet per 10 gallons the fish are in a 10 gallon...and i dosed it yest.. so i should wait till 2moro and dose again.. half a pill? i been crushing them up and then putting the powder in and beating it with an egg whip lol i have a hagen spongue filter with 2 small air pumps t-d into it and a hob filter raited at up to 15 gallons on it..
and thank you for your help the thought of losing all my fish that I've spent probly over $1000 on makes me sick
Was going by Seachem's recommended dosage, perhaps Fish Zole isn't as concentrated a formula. Go with their recommendation as it's their product you're using.
No chemical filtration on the hob right?

m1ke715m said:
ok so the 2 tanks that i took bloated fish out of but no1 else is affected and they are eating ill jus feed metro soaked food..
how much metro do i soak the food with? and how do i go about doing this? how much metro do i use and what jus mix it with water? how much water? yea im using fish zole each tablet is 250mg.. im feeding them flakes mostly a mix of a bunch of dif kinds of flakes in the pm and mix of diff kinds of pellets sometimes in the am i feed what i think is a small amount each time say what they can eat in 2 minutes... can i mix it with falkes and pellets? how much metro/water for how long before i feed?
Couple of different ways.
1.Mix flake/pellets with water to equal about 1 tablespoon of food paste, mix in 1/2 tab of Metro, put into freezer until congealed then feed small pellet sized chunks.
or
2. Mix water and metro (1/2 tab), add pellets (no flake) and leave in solution until they've soaked up the water/metro mix. Feed. This one's harder to get the mix right, watery enough for the pellets to soak it up, but not so watery that the pellets turn to mush, sort of in between.
I think you can let them dry out a bit if they get too mushy but don't quote me on that. Alternatively, if there's too much water, add more pellets to soak it up and put the extra in the fridge.
Feed what they can eat in 30 seconds to a minute.

m1ke715m said:
oh and how long do i feed them the soaked food for? a week?
1 week should be plenty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was going by Seachem's recommended dosage, perhaps Fish Zole isn't as concentrated a formula. Go with their recommendation as it's their product you're using.
No chemical filtration on the hob right?
no i took the carbon pad out. and that was the initial problem their directions are very vague... this is what it says.. the met bottle says: add one tablet into aquarium for each 10 gallons of water to be treated. repeat in 24 hours. it is suggested that a partial water change be made between treatments .. it is suggested that medication baths continue for 5 days and not for more than 10 days. discontinue treatment if no improvement is noted within 5 days... that implies i should change the water every day before i treat again or wait 5 days and then do a water change.

this doesnt really explain if i should do the water change at the end of the 5 day treatment or every day...

and wow that sounds like a huge pain to mix up...ill try the pellets route.. if they get too mushy wont the fish still eat them when u toss them in? flakes break up in lil pieces and they eat them no problem...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
m1ke715m said:
no i took the carbon pad out. and that was the initial problem their directions are very vague... this is what it says.. the met bottle says: add one tablet into aquarium for each 10 gallons of water to be treated. repeat in 24 hours. it is suggested that a partial water change be made between treatments .. it is suggested that medication baths continue for 5 days and not for more than 10 days. discontinue treatment if no improvement is noted within 5 days... that implies i should change the water every day before i treat again or wait 5 days and then do a water change.

this doesnt really explain if i should do the water change at the end of the 5 day treatment or every day...

and wow that sounds like a huge pain to mix up...ill try the pellets route.. if they get too mushy wont the fish still eat them when u toss them in? flakes break up in lil pieces and they eat them no problem...
Do water changes every other day only if you're dosing the tank. I wouldn't think it necessary to change the water if you're feeding metro soaked food until the week treatment is over.
Mushiness is relative, my mushiness is like the food disintegrates once it hits the water, lol, but as long as it remains edible, it's fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im not feeding them metro soaked food in that tank cuz *** only been feeding them veggie flakes so they dont get bloat... the problem to begin with is i had some tropheus in with my eureka red jake grow outs so they were getting too much protein.. i have no idea how the german red in my other tank got bloat... so i am jus dosing that quarantine tank so i skipped a dose today and ill dose the tank 2moro and do a water change before i dose it... it wont be a big deal because im going to use the clout on that tank when it comes.. i think the german red might die before that thou he's huffin and puffin really hard but the duboisi ate just before and has no signs of bloat.. but im going to treat with clout just in case when i get it... i mixed pellets in the water and metro and it worked out ok and i added jus a lil flake for the eureka reds in the 1 tank cuz they are all at the bottom and theres some slightly bigger fish up top...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well my german red went belly up so i flushed him.. euthenasia for fish i suppose... so i guess i ordered the clout for nothing and i went overboard and bought 2 bottles of it... so now i have 2 bottles of fish zole and 2 bottles of clout if anyone from nj needs some let me know lol now everyone in that quarantine tank is eating jus fine... and i been feeding the other 2 tanks with the metro soaked pellets.. everything seems fine so far... im not even gonna treat with clout cuz that was for the german red whos belly was huge..

·
Registered
554 Posts
flushing is not euthanasia. Look up humane euthanasia techniques. Death by poisoning through excretum can't be fun.

That said, hope your fishies pull through.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he was already pretty much dead... i was lookin up at him and he went belly up and so i scooped him out and flushed him... what would humane euthanasia techniques be for fish?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sorry for your loss, hopefully the remaining fish will be fine.
Most people recommend a two step procedure using clove oil and vodka as being the most humane method for euthanizing fish.
There's a very detailed method here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts