Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a few questions in regard to a 180g that i will be working on soon. i have been keeping fish for about two years now, and am keen to try something different. my first question is, what size sump will i need? the tank has an overflow that takes a 1" bulkhead, and i currently have a spare 29g ( 30x15x15) that i am thinking about using, but am unsure if it is too small? my second question is, what makes for a good stocking list for a tank this size (6'x2'x2')? i am thinking at the moment:
- a small colony of frontosa (5-6)
- a colony of leleupi
- a shoal of cips (if they are available in my area)
- 4-6 julis
- 4-6 comps
- possibly a pair of shellies if possible?

i am probably completely wrong, but would this work? suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd.

·
Registered
213 Posts
rgr4475 said:
All male Hap/Peacock tank! :dancing:
:thumb: +1

I am about to get a 180 and I'm leaning toward the Hap/Peacock tank.

rgr4475

You have to admit it's a little ironic, given your answer, which I'm in agreement, that one of the best moments of your vid is at 1:43 to 1:56 when you know who pops out of the rocks! :lol:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
juststayinthecave said:
rgr4475 said:
All male Hap/Peacock tank! :dancing:
:thumb: +1

I am about to get a 180 and I'm leaning toward the Hap/Peacock tank.

rgr4475

You have to admit it's a little ironic, given your answer, which I'm in agreement, that one of the best moments of your vid is at 1:43 to 1:56 when you know who pops out of the rocks! :lol:
Hana, yeah he was practically given to me due to his funky barring. I re did the rock work so ill have to post up a new video

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i have been looking around on this site, and have had a few more ideas for stocking...

- a large colony of demasoni
- a large colony of yellow labs
- another colony of something else?

i have thoroughly read Mr Muellers site multiple times, and his 240g tank is the inspiration for my tang stocking. does anybody have any other ideas that i may have overlooked??
Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm looking at getting some Moori, blue dolphin. They are known to be one of the peaceful haps They are slow growing, take time to mature but eventually grow out to be a good size. I've read they school nicely. Don't know how they'd fair with the dem's but I'm thinking of getting some for when I get my 180 set up. I'll probably be adding some other haps and some peackocks to finish it of, but really in the dark at the moment.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Lol my c. Moori are growing out with dems and a few other haps. All juvi but no problem. I would imagine the adults would ignore each other. Atleast eventually. But not sure as this is only temporary. The dems arnt for me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You could always check out a CA/SA community set up. I had an opportunity to grab a 180 for CHEAP recently and really regret that I didn't do it. I didn't think I'd have the patience to grow out so many juvies, but I really wish I had. Don't underestimate the big behemoths ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
For a sump, I'd go bigger than a 29 gallon. You'll be able to add more media as well as have more room for the water to evaporate before potentially running dry or making a lot of noise. You also need to make sure that the sump has enough room for the water in the towers/plumbing to drain into when the power goes out.

I built a sump for my 180 using a 50g rubbermaid tub and a plastic drawer set from Target. I think it cost me around $100 for everything.

Here's my build thread: http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5877&highlight=tony's+180

A couple of shots of the sump:

(Weird.. can't get the images to display...)

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i have decided to go with a mbuna tank. how does this sound to start off with?
- 15 Demasoni
- 15 Yellow Labs
??

i will look around to see if i can find a cheap 55g or similar for the sump, and if not, i will do a wet/dry setup much like yours, mokujin22.

also, would it be a problem if the gh and kh is very high for mbuna? using an API freshwater master test kit, my water reads off the chart...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts