Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got the approval from wife to go with a 6 foot 180 gallon set up with sump for my hap and peacock tank. I know for a fact I want Phenochilus Tanzania. Should I do a colony with something else, or should I just have one in an all male setup? If all male how many fish should I go for? The plan is to stock a few juvies at a time so I can quarantine each batch for a few weeks and proactively de worm and de parasite them. once the process starts I hope to keep the quarantine train going until I reach max stocking.

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Pheno's are timid so you may be better off with a colony rather than all male.

I like 18 males in all male for a 72" tank.

For mixed gender (remember the pheno's get large) maybe 3m:9f of the phenos and 1m:4f of yellow labs?

The problem with stocking juveniles for all-male is that you can't know when a fish is male until it is no longer a juvenile.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We have a breeding group of star sapphire and protomelas sp. hertae together, Three males and seven females of each. They are doing great.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the tank is flooded and the Pheno's are out of quarantine and doing well. Still trying to figure out some tank mates to go with these guys. Along with another hap or peacock type, I am thinking yellow labs and giant demasoni(another fish I have always wanted) I know those are 2 mbuna species but on average should the be laid back enough to not bother the Pheno's?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would say no to giant demasoni and maybe to yellow labs. Phenos are a hap that are intimidated even by many other haps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so in addition to the pheno's how about

a group of Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania"
a group of Aulonocara Kandeense(I know these guys are shy and may not color up)
a group of yellow labs

Does this seem more reasonable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
Are you adding P. "Hertae" too? "Spilonatus Tanzania" would go great with the Phenochilus. They will use the upper part of the tank.

Then why not a nice pure Aulonocara stuartgranti type, have a group and get one male to color up in spectacular fashion.

Probably could get away with some Yellow Labs, i would add them last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts