Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just did a google search of Pergo - that's just a laminate, right? Should be fine... If you're worried, cut a 3/8-1/2" rectangle of plywood the exact dimensions of your stand and set it all up on that to distribute weight a bit more evenly.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I've used several of the Pergo-type laminates and I would be a little concerned. They do tend to chip or buckle if they are on something not totally smooth. It is a pretty thin laminate with a foam or soft backer. It might be prone to crushing at the edges of the tank stand depending on the shape of the stand bottom. If it is a stand with any type legs so that the weight is all in the four corners it "might" give trouble. If the stand is one with a larger bottom surface like 2X4 laid on the wide side, I would judge it to be okay. Not a real clear cut answer. For mine, I might go for a 3/4 inch layer of plywood under the whole stand to feel sure about it. No standing water allowed on the laminate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a tank 1/3 the size you are asking about with a 55 gallon footprint on the exact floor you are talking about. It seems fine. I just looked at it and it is as solid as if it was sitting directly on the concrete. I think as long as the weight is distributed over the larger area of your tank footprint you'll be fine. You can always partial fill and check it. Add some more and check it again.

Hope this helps,
Jman

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
My 240G is on a Pergo floor. I installed both the floor and the tank myself. 6 years later there is no problem.

In my case the tank is on the ground floor, but there is a basement underneath it, and the studs run parallel with the length of the tank, which is the worst case scenario for the Pergo. With a concrete ceiling you are good as gold :thumb:

BTW - I had a spill to the tune that I had to restore the suspended ceiling in the basement under the tank. With the Pergo you just mop up the water, and you see not a trace of damage. My wife also had water spill onto it from over-watering the plants, and we didn't discover the puddle until a day later. Same story, mop up the water, and the Pergo looks like new. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I typed out a big, long winded response yesterday but when I went to hit send it dissapeared, so I gave up. I basicaly said the same as everyone else, except my concern would be the floor not being able to move (expand and contract) under the weight of the tank. It would seem that Frank has quashed that theory though. :dancing: I am going to install an engineered hardwood (maple) floor in my basement and my 210g will sit on it.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There are many varieties of laminate. I think the Pergo brand may be one of the better quality ones so one has to figure in what type he has before he decides what his floor will take. I've never installed the Pergo but I can see the difference in the backing used. The pergo appears to be almost a plastic type layer. Some of the other is more MDF type stuff and does not stand up to water at all well. You just have to find out which you may have if questions come up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I will add that mine is the original Pergo brand and is the type that is glued together. Water can't soak between the pieces. It just puddles up. I have spilled gallons of water on the floor before with no problems other than slipping and busting my behind on it. I have wondered how the snap together holds up to spills.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all kindly for your responses. I really appreciate it. Like some of you, I have had water on the floor without any apparent seepage. In fact, when I bought the house the there had been a leak in the roof due to some tiles that had been pushed out of place by tree branches during a storm. Water had puddled on the Pergo floor and sat there for I don't know how long. Minimal damage was done to the floor; most people wouldn't even notice it. So I think we are pretty water-tight. As for the 180, the stand will be a standard type which will allow for a little more even weight distribution. I tend to be a little bit cautious when it comes to high-volume spillage risks, so I will likely take the advice to place some plywood underneath the stand. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I was not so concerned about the water even though it can be a problem under the right conditions. My main thought was the crush factor of a 180. The laminates I know about all have a "floating floor" system where there is a 1/8-1/4 inch foam pad installed first and then the laminate has a type of harder backing of more dense rubber or foam. My thought was the 180 puts a lot of "squish" on whatever is underneath and it might have potential to form a crack at the edge of the stand over time. Not saying it would but not saying it would not either. If it were a stand on legs, it would be more likely than if it has a nice broad footprint. A thick layer of plywood spreads the weight.
For the water question, I had several different items happen to laminates. In a basement apartment, the floor flooded for about four hours and I expected the laminate to be ruined but it settled back down and was not harmed very much. In another case the laminate in a trailer house was ruined by the condensation running down the metal around an exterior door. It seemed time was the major factor as the second case was a situation where the floor was wet and stayed wet each winter for several years. But then that also ruins particleboard floors used in trailers. Just something to be aware of if you have laminate floors.

In cases where spills can get real expensive, I use a water alarm made for under water heaters. They cost about $15 dollars but let you know if there is a leak. A simple item that runs on a 9V and sets on the floor under the tank. I think all tanks on the second floor should have them. Much cheaper than replacing the sheetrock downstairs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.