Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this set up from craigslist.
I have no experience with bulkheads or tanks with two returns.

There are 2- 2inch overflows with diy bulkheads in each corner.

There are 2- return holes for 1/2 inch returns, with 3/4 inch holes.Large hole in center is covered and patched with acrylic.

The stand/sump has one 1 3/4 inch hole for the return pump, for a 1" bulkhead

I have a new Marineland nj-5500 maxijet for a return pump. Im estimating 700+ gal/hour.

The only access to under the tank is a 8" panel opening along the front of the stand via an piano key type acrylic cover

Here are my questions:

1- Is my pump going to be large enough for this tank. /and or will my flow rate trough two 1/2 returns be enough?

2- I want to do diy bulkheads to save money, but can i even do them with .75 and 1.75 inch holes? What pipe size would i have to use? I know standard bulkhead hole size/pvc pipe ratio, just dont know if i can do diy bulkheads. Also i dont understand the best option(s) of slip/threaded, threaded/threaded or slip/slip bulkheads. Which is best if i am planning on doing some sort of spray bar for the returns

3-I originally wanted to run the pump submerged and hard plumbed inside the sump to reduce noise and help with heating, Then i started to think about that the only access to the sump is via an 8" opening along the front of the tank, encase something went wrong. Should I do external? This also got me thinking about using 1" tubing for plumbing with barbs and clamps on the bulkheads. Would this be better than using PVC?

4-What can anyone tell me about my return system i have sketched out?(BLUE holes would be spraying vertically) It would be using 1/2in pvc.

I have no experience with spray bars or underground jets. Will this lay out work well? Will it be hard to keep it covered by sand or a crushed sea shell substrate?

I hope someone can help me out and steer me in the right direction I would rather not learn things the hard way when im dealing with 300gal of water.
Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
1) If the pump is rated for 700gph it will not come close to being enough for a system that size. You need at least 1000gph on top of that 700.

2) Not 100% clear on your drawing, but it is not wise to submerge the return lines. I know your sump is huge but your display tank will back siphon back into the sump to the first siphon brake/ first place air can get into the return line.

3) Can't help on the diy bulkheads, I have always bought bulkheads. Slip or threaded is a matter of preference and how you want or need to plumb your tank. Plan it out first, don't use threaded if you don't have room to twist a fitting+piping into it. You need to pvc cement on slip and teflon tape threaded. Use unions where you know you might need to remove piping and such.

Nice set-up, slow down, ask questions, you will be happy you set it up right the first time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts