Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
I disagree with you, but I respect your view point. All I ask is that you do the same for me.

However, I do envy your ability to work in two aquarium stores :lol:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
12pointer said:
I remember when I was 8 I purcashed my first tank I use to ride my bike to the LFS and put money on the 29 gallon setup that I had in layaway. When it was paid off my mom drove me up there and picked it up for me. I still have that tank, 32yrs later and its still running.

I personly think its BS that they would refuse to sell up and comming hobbyist fish. Yes some people have gone the wrong way by buying fish for fighting them for profit. If the young people can't buy from petsmarts what makes them think their stopping them from buying fish, they can just go to a LFS who will most likely be willing to sell fish to them.

Thats the problem with the world today. Its ok for a 12yr old to sit in the wood with a gun and shoot a deer but they can't buy a fish unless their 18.

PS... Petsmart sucks anyway
The reality in your argument is your are upset between the differences of state governments and private businesses. if a private company wants make age a requirement, they can. As to whether they have actually done this here and it wasn't just an overzealous employee is a different issue.

Honestly, your example has ironies. In every state I've ever seen of, a 12 year old who goes hunting has to have a few requirements: hunter's safety course, parents have to sign application, parents have to be with during hunt.

How bout apply those to fish, since you readily compared them. MOST of the people who buy fish under 18 are likely to do things hastily. I did, my friends did, random strangers i meet today do. Just because a select few have proven very capable doesn't mean all are. This is the first thing petsmart has ever done that has made sense to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, really. I really don't have anything else to say about it. There are plenty of irresponsible adults and plenty of responsible teenagers. That's the bottom line. Just because maybe there are more adults that have learned a little bit of responsibility than teenagers doesn't imply that adults are more responsible than teenagers. It implies that there is very little correlation between age and responsibility. Very little means just that: very little. SOME, but not much at all.

·
Registered
589 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. Although it has been a long time since I was under 18, I can appreciate the frustration of the young person who takes the hobby seriously. On the other hand, I don't see that being over 18 has anything to do with responsibility. I have been glared at many times by a petstore employee when I have butted right in to a "sales pitch" to say,
"You know, those fish just might not work out together", or "How big is your tank? You really need a big tank for those fish". I have no problem at all interjecting my opionions on complete strangers. Usually the prospective buyer will actually listen to what I have to say. And for the most part, they are clueles! I always direct them to a fish forum, or suggest they look on the internet. If just one person takes the advice to heart, maybe one fish will have a chance at a better life.
j

·
Registered
363 Posts
there is very little correlation between age and responsibility
Agree to disagree. I think there is a very strong correlation.

Either way, it's well within Petsmart's rights to impose this rule. I don't know that it will help the fish very much, but that is not Petsmart's objective, at least not their main objective. They want to help their image.

It is what it is. Does anyone know if there are age restrictions for purchasing dogs or cats?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Every pet shop I've been to has a 18+ policy for dogs , cats , birds , ect.. And yesterday I was at a local Superpetz, and they've imposed an 18+ policy for purchasing Bettas. There was a sign right above the display stating so. I asked the kid who was netting my new Ottos about it and he said it was to keep kids from trying to make them fight. Guess the rumor has gotten around.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think there is a strong correlation between age and responsibility also. But, just because people 18+ or 30+ HAVE more responsibiblity doesn't make them any more inclined to BE responsible. A person will pretty much be as responsible as they are going to be their whole life. it's just a 15 year old kid's responsibilities are usually a lot less than a 25 year old's. Thus, making it hard to measure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
LJ said:
Does anyone know if there are age restrictions for purchasing dogs or cats?
LJ,

PetSmart doesn't outright sell cats or dogs because of euthanasia problems, but we do constant adoptions. The age requirements would be up to the individual organizations, but I would assume they have some restrictions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Maybe responsibility is not the right word. I believe that adults have better decision making ability than children, on average.

I think it's a good rule. I don't think a child should be able to purchase a dog, and I don't think a child should be able to purchase a fish either, without parental permission.

Perhaps 18 is too high though. I think 16 might be better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SinisterKisses said:
Might be a new policy, I know I've heard talk of it before.
Sorry for the late reply but I 'm with Petsmart as they do change their policy so often. If you bought a pet or pet product and not satisfied then it can be returned within 60 days of purchase and you will be refunded back in the same mode of payment. If you exceed 60 days return problem than still, you can return the product but you need to carry out valid id along with it. Returning product found on shipping defective or damage has a different time frame to return

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't visited C-F in a long time but this notification captured my attention. I think some of these rules are essentially "virtue signaling" so they can say to the animal right groups that they are trying.
There is the dilemma that some younger teens are well-versed in aquaculture, and some adults are totally clueless. Just so you know, I am not defending the Box Stores in any way.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts