Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in less than 24 hours my nitrates went WAAAAAAY out of wack and I lost three of my fish :-( Everything else in my tank is good. How often do you test your water? After you put in something to get rid of the nitrates how long do you wait to retest your water?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nitrate in the tank is primarily the end result of fish waste: poop -> ammonia -> nitrIte -> nitrAte. Some nitrate is the result of uneaten food decomposing in the water. Nitrate is removed with partial water changes, essentially diluting it. If your nitrate goes high quickly, then you need to look at the number of fish in your tank and the amount of food you're giving them. When your nitrates are getting too high too frequently, you should consider more frequent or larger water changes. From what I've seen on this board, most cichlid keepers change 25-50% of the water weekly. The goal is to keep the nitrate reading < 20. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last night I got some stuff to get rid of nitrates and the test trips. I tested my tap water and it has all the ideal ratings so I knew it wasn't my tap water. So I did a water change and cleaned the rocks with the vacume, turned down my heat a bit and decided to feed only every other day for now. After I did the cleaning I tested my water again after about 20 minutes and the nitrates we significantly lower but still not good. I then added the stuff to get rid of the nitrates. I'll test again sometime today. Hopefully it gets better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts