Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set up a new 150g XH tank. Looking for stocking advice. I have a sump underneath the tank with plenty of filtering capabilities and biological filtration. I have recently got out of the saltwater hobby and have a GHL Profilux on the tank to monitor and perform automatic water changes. Tap water is very hard which is good. I will have 120g of water ready at all times and plan on doing weekly water changes at about 90 gallons. Been keeping fish my entire life and system. Is well thought out. I have bought a bunch of underwater labs caves for hiding places. Would like to go Lake Malawi Mbundu or Peacocks or both if possible. Look forward to suggestions

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of the tank? Length is most important for Malawi and not a large number of mbuna that work well with peacocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of the tank? Length is most important for Malawi and not a large number of mbuna that work well with peacocks.
48L x 24D x 29tall

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Mixed gender or all-male?

The mbuna that can do well with peacocks are yellow labs and acei.

If you like a different mbuna, then maybe you want to choose an all mbuna tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Mixed gender or all-male?

The mbuna that can do well with peacocks are yellow labs and acei.

If you like a different mbuna, then maybe you want to choose an all mbuna tank?
I not stock on Peacocks as I have had them in the past. Just wasn't sure with a very tall tank and a lot of room that I could get away with it.

I think I will go al Mbuna if that is not an option then.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It is an option, just limited to acei and yellow labs.

Mixed gender mbuna, think in terms of 1m:4f and 4 species in a 48" tank.

Beginner mbuna include yellow labs, acei, Cynotilapia zebroides and Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties) if you like any of those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DJRansome said:
It is an option, just limited to acei and yellow labs.

Mixed gender mbuna, think in terms of 1m:4f and 4 species in a 48" tank.

Beginner mbuna include yellow labs, acei, Cynotilapia zebroides and Iodotropheus sprengerae (rusties) if you like any of those.
So a max of 20 fish?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
If you choose mixed gender and for most mbuna species. The max would be different for a couple of species or if you went all male (difficult with mbuna).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts