Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've done reef tanks, we've done the CA tank. we just never done the africans. what would would be a good stocking list? what would be the no-no ones? how much rock? (tank is 30" tall 4' long 2' wide) btw sand over gravel, whats your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Because of the footprint, stock it like a 75G. Look at the Gallery to choose a species or two to stock around. Then check out the cookie cutter tanks to get ideas.

When starting out with Tangs I found a Library article and some of the cookie cutters (at least the smaller tanks) to be a little over-ambitious. So once you have narrowed down your choices just a little, post in the appropriate forum to get input on stocking.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Something that uses more than just the bottom of the tank would be useful.
From my experience, tropheus and cyprichromis, especially cyprichromis. Although tropheus have rock territories, they spend a fair bit of time in the middle water layers.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
punman said:
Something that uses more than just the bottom of the tank would be useful.
From my experience, tropheus and cyprichromis, especially cyprichromis. Although tropheus have rock territories, they spend a fair bit of time in the middle water layers.
cyprichromis are a no go here would have to buy them off the Net and really dont want to get back in to that mess.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looked at the cookie set up but really want something that will hang about mid tank will the tank being so tall.The list on here are kinda out dated most pics not up so guess back to pulling out the books and old websets again.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Well don't forget you are talking Africans. :lol:

I find most of my fish, even the rock dwellers like mbuna and caudopunctatus use all levels of the tank. Haps and peacocks are more mid-level. But if you really want serious upper water dwellers, you can't beat cyps.

And if cyps are the #1 species to build around, then you still have room for rock dwellers like julidochromis or calvus. And bottom dwellers like shellies.

Among the tangs, the caudopunctatus use the entire tanks pretty well also and are out and about constantly.

Did you see something that needs to be updated or with a pic not working? PM me with specifics and we can take a look.
list on here are kinda out dated most pics not up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts