Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank dimensions is 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 28 1/2 ..It has crushed coral substrate

I know you can do so many things with a tank of this size and I`ve kept just about everything(Frontosa, Tropheus,Peacocks, Shell dwellers) except Mbuna.

If I did a large school of Demasoni how many could I put in this tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
As a species tank or with other mbuna?

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I'd go 40 fish after removing extra males.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Reiwolf said:
Why remove males? The fun part are the small battles and territory- fights.
Well, the males may make the decisions for you, turning males into outcasts, whether you like it or not. Suppose you can get a whole bunch but Demasoni but Demasoni don't really school much, they are stressful fish.

If you are set with one cichlid in the tank, I would try a group of 6-8 Syno multipunctatus cats to provide an active distraction. Would be attractive too.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Me too. Sometimes they tolerate extra males sometimes they don't. But if they are being harassed, removing the victims can help avoid bloat.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
More then 1 male demasoni has only worked for the very short term for me. I've lost a few subordinate males due to aggression. Also had 4-5 males in a tank escalate into constant battles and turn into a war zone. Like any aggressive cichlid, makes sense to me, to house no more then one male per tank. It becomes an absolute **** existence for some subordinate males even if they manage to survive. Makes sense to me to make choices early, and get down to a chosen male. It may end up too stressful otherwise.
I've had demasoni now for 4 years in 4 tanks (sometimes in 5 tanks as my 29 gal. is used for grow up). Though i keep them in small numbers rather then the 12+ recommended.
I think given the chance to excel,fairly likely one male will eventually dominate, even if it takes a few years to get there. Bear in mind they won't be subordinate to any other cichlid in a species tank. Though, maybe "packing them in" might allow for more the one male to co-exist (??).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts