Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having our 55 gallon for a while, we just had to go back to having a bigger tank. So, my father and I made our 2nd 150 gallon purchase.

We're building a background and canopy for it.

We'll be running Rena XP3 and Marineland C-530 canisters, 2 marineland powerheads, 2 ebo-jager heaters. The lighting will be three T5 ballasts with 3 fluorescent and 3 actinic bulbs. And just for fun, we're gonna run some moonlight LED's along the sides. :D

Here come the pics from today's work so far! Enjoy, any suggestions are welcome!

Start off with some pics of where my cichlids are currently chillin'

****ty pic of my alpha male jacob

and now the new tank!

test fitting the foam

marking down where the gadgets are going...

and now making the rocks!

5 inches of foam

9 inches...

placing it in the tank

decided to add foam to part of the base to make some extensions of the rocks from the wall to the front

a little bit of the mess

and here is a practice background we did for our 25 gallon

Next up: More rocks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wow looking really good so far, I can't wait to see when your all done with it. By the looks of that practice run int he 25 gallon I'd say the 125 is gonna be great. Oh and I have the same exact stand under my tank lol :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! We're trying to debate how we could attach a module to the center brace and have it extend down towards the base styrofoam. Saw something like it in the background showcase thread in a tank with frontosas. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day Two's work:

Started siliconing the pieces together and added some more rocks. Had to move where most of the filtrations going to go also.

None of the pieces are actually siliconed to the back piece yet, just getting the design ready.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're going to be covering the heater completely with a rock, however we are also placing the intakes for each filter there also, so in the event that hot water would accumulate there, the intake would just remove it and circulate it back out. Is that correct logic? To improve the circulation in that area, we're going to perforate the rocks covering the heater with small holes...

·
Registered
970 Posts
mustang1089 said:
We're going to be covering the heater completely with a rock, however we are also placing the intakes for each filter there also, so in the event that hot water would accumulate there, the intake would just remove it and circulate it back out. Is that correct logic? To improve the circulation in that area, we're going to perforate the rocks covering the heater with small holes...
That is the correct idea but some people do have problems with stagnant warm water in these sections. In order to have the heater working properly, you will need to have the perforations of the rock in the opposite side of the filter intake. This will create a path for the water to follow before reaching the intake and effectively have cool water come in contact with warm water and mix in.

Here is a quick drawing...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ran into a problem with the size of the modules. Should have made 3 pieces in the back as opposed to two, with the 9 inches of rock sticking out, theres no way we'll be able to put either piece into the tank after everythings siliconed! A little halt in the progression as we had to redo the back piece into 3 pieces.

On a positive note, we decided to add one more filter, an Eheim 2213, just as an extra biological center!

Also added a few more layers of thickness on the pre-existing rock pieces.

Will post pictures soon! This project is still alive, dont worry!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Got all the rocks done. Decided to go full styrofoam base just to protect the glass and so that when they dig up the sand, it'll be the same drylock color showing as opposed to glass/eggcrate.

Here is the back portion done. Still gotta add a few more smaller rocks to fill the gaps, and finish the side piece.

Then, add a few styrofoam rocks on the base.

Enjoy! Open to suggestions!

·
Registered
220 Posts
WOW!!! :drooling:
Can you post a pic looking down into the tank (from the top)? I'm getting ready to start mine and am curious to see how it all fits together. Fabulous build! I can't wait to see the end result!

·
Registered
117 Posts
it looks really good, the one in the 25g looks great to.

just out of interest what do you expect the finished volume of water to be? its just there seems to be **** of a lot of foam going into that background?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think that the first coat of Drylok should always be dyed black. This helps with the parts where it is difficult to get to on the second and third coat (if any). It is an eye sore when you think you are done and then you can see white in some parts of the background and again if they are hard to get to, you may end up messing up your last coat in order to try and fix the overlooked part. Just a small advice... maybe you thought of that before but just for the sake of recording the process for others...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts