Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this is in the right section or not.

Anyway my 150 gallon frontosa tank out of the blue started leaking tonight, while I was right in the middle of moving my 55 gallon :x

The leak is about 7 or 8 inches from the top of the tank, I have about 50% of the water already gone. My question is what would be best and least painful way of repair. the last thing I want to do is completely drain the tank, but if I have to I will.

I was thinking is it possible to drain the tank down to about 25% then re-seal over the old silicone wait 72 hours then fill it back up. I not entirely comfortable with stripping the old silicone off, for the off chance I make things worse, since I cant afford to replace the tank.

any suggestions would be awesome thanks!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would say if you gonna remove any of the seam Id drain it first. Removing some of it may weaken it enough to cause a catastrophic failure, not to mention the possibility to waking up to dead fronts from contamination for the uncured silicone.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Im really really hoping there is a easy way to fix this, but deep down I know the right way isnt the easy way.

·
Registered
705 Posts
you may be able to use some underwater putty to seal it. *** seen it available online, im sure a site sponsor would have it. its typically for cementing corals in place but it may work for a quick seal. still i thing long term its gonna be breaking it down and resealing and bracing and all that jazz. GL to ya. i know Ironmahn has done this before. he may be able to help give ya some ideas give him a PM.

·
Registered
656 Posts
pork_chop said:
thanks

Im really really hoping there is a easy way to fix this, but deep down I know the right way isnt the easy way.
Thats the best answer. Patch jobs rarely work long term, and the next time it fails, you might not be so lucky.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
In my opinion, the only really good solution is to empty the tank and reseal completely. You could try the patch, cleaning really well with alcohol, and adding new sealer so it makes contact with the glass beyond where the old silicone is/was. I would expect the problem will resurface. I realize that it is a bit of a big job to redo the entire tank, but your chance of success is much higher. If and when you remove the inner fillet, check to see that the glass is still held firmly at area of the leak. If it is solid, that is you can't move the glass when applying pressure , reseal. removing the inner seal should in no way affect the structural integrity of the tank. If it does, the tank would need to be dismantled and rebuilt. The tank should hold water without the inner seal; it is basically there for insurance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
today went to the local cichlid dealer seeking some additional advice and he offered to completely reseal the tank for 35$ or 50$ to make a house call and fix it at my place. 50$ and I dont have to move the monster tank is an awesome deal to me.

thanks guys for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The cost of the silicone is about $4 to $8, but the price including labor is very good, (assuming the person does the job correctly, of course.)

·
Registered
211 Posts
ya the silicone is like 4$ from walmart, homedepot etc.... but if he does it right and everything i would also feel better with someone else doing it that knows more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.