Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Am upgrading in a couple of months to a 60"x24"x24" (150 US gal) Tang tank from their current 50 US gal, currently housing 17 cyp leptosoma mpulungu, pair of Julies, 3 petricola, group of multis and a few ancistrus. It'll be the largest aquarium I'd have owned and have a spare Eheim 2080 that I'm planning on using and wondering what to pair it with.
As far as biological filtration goes, I think it will cope as it has run flawlessly for the past 6 years or so on an overstocked 100gal mbuna tank and the bioload of the 150gal tang tank won't be any more, even with a few additions. Am thinking more of an issue with mech filtration.
Not in to HOBs or sumps so looking at another canister. Don't really want the cost of another 2080 so looking at an Eheim 2217 (£125 and 20w over a £330 and 45w 2080.) Got a couple of spare powerheads too for added circulation.

The realistic turnover for the 2 canisters mentioned is around 500-600GPH at best plus any power head I add. So around 5x turnover.

Seem OK?

Cheers

·
2,088 Posts
Yes, that should be fine - obviously, keep an eye on the water parameters, and if they trend in the wrong direction, you can add something else.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, wasn't 100% sure but can keep an eye on it!

Now to find some tanganyikan cichlids near me, so rare and expensive compared to mbuna!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts