Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After losing my 8 year old Firemouth Cichlid a few weeks back I am thinking of setting up a community tank Instead of having 1 single fish.
I am thinking a Bolivian Ram but really struggling with what else I could get to go with it. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
i was leaning towards 4 corys, 6 tetras and 1 ram or possibly 2 but would this be overcrowded? If so, any other suggestions welcomed.
after only ever having Cichlids I am looking for something with personality.
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost that guy. You get pretty attached to things like that after keeping them so long. And your individually kept Fire Mouth was definitely in the category of 'wet pet'. :cry:
So.... what to do in going forward?:
Okay than, I can tell you're ready for something with a very different personality and 'vibe' from your old system. And sure, it's time to try something new!
So, I'm gonna recommend a heavily planted setup (big surprise from the long-termers here). In this case, a planted combination of substrate and non-substrate rooting plants. Something low-tech (non-CO2). And with an aquarium like that, you hold off on the fish stocking for awhile. Because the initial focus will be on getting things set up with the planted arrangement. New lights that are needed to grow the plants successfully, etc.....
Resource material you could look-thru for ideas in this include just about anything you can find with terms such as 'Nature Aquarium' and 'Takahashi Amano'. Do a deep dive on that stuff for a bit. Get some ideas and maybe a litle inspiration on what you'd like to attempt - then go all in with it!
And with this new direction, you might be surprised at how deep things can get when setting up a 15 gallon aquarium. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts