Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying this out. I don't have room for breeding right now, so I got rid of my breeding groups and decided to try an all male set up. I've already lost a couple fish due to a female that slipped in accidentally, but I think I'm back on track. I'm going off the beaten path by doing this tank with a mish mash of fish: mbuna, haps, peacocks and others as well. I'm willing to try anything I like as long as I think it can handle itself in there. If they can't I have a LFS I can turn them in to for credit. So this should be an interesting little experiment. So far here's what I have in there.

Aulonocara â€Å"Firefishâ€Â

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's so hard to choose a stock list when going all male isn't it? The choices seem endless. Nice job on the photography, your the fish look great!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there are so many options. Here's a quick vid.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi

I've been keeping a 150g all male for couple of years.

It is a trial and error situation and the thing with individual cichlids is that their temperaments can vary a lot between fish.

I'd say that most of the fish in you list have chance of co-existing with each other, and a high stocking level helps with the aggression as long as your water/feeding regime is well maintained..

If anything I would steer away from some of the bigger Mbuna species like Metriclima and even keep mbuna species down to just a few- so peacocks and haps get a decent run of the tank.

Same with some of the bigger Piscivores look the Nimbo's- I had polystigma and Venustus and swapped with one male Front who works a lot better in the set up. If you get a spare male in your front colony I'd put him in there before nimbo's

Peacocks like 'Blue Orchid' could find it hard to compete in such a set up

I found Vics also can battle to get enough food in this dort of set up.

I had a lovely big rogue Pulcher also in there for 8 mths then he just died.

I had 5 1/2 inch Rubescens for 18 mths also living happily then got nailed one day, probably by the Maleri.

A good male tank looks awesome but things will happen. Your fish seem to be youngish as well so things will change as they mature

Your fish look great BTW- The 'Ahli' looks a bit wrong to me though

FYI- here is a FTS of my set up. A bit old but gives an idea.
cheers!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks awesome. I have almost an all male tank. The females I have the males do not fight over them due to different species. My largest is a 6 inch red zebra who's a bit aggressive but only chases. Other than my two female zebras dying a few months back my community has calmed down and been no troubles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts