Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm in the process of building a 310G Plywood tank for my Oscars, Arrowana and Catfish. I've been considering Calvus or Comp's for a very long time but have never pulled the trigger. A couple of questions.

1. what is a realistic stocking # for this tank.
2. are there any, other than usual, concerns for these fish over malawi's (kept them plenty of times in the past).
3. I have been told I can plant the tank for these fish. Is this true? (love planted tanks)

Looking forward to the information!!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
So you are moving the current inhabitants out when the 310 is built, then your 135g will be empty? Then you have lots of options. Lots of folks have planted Tang tanks...

Altolamps are great community fish, and like most tang cichlids in the lamprologus family, you start with a group in order to get a compatible pair/trio. Altolamps can sometimes be kept as a large group, say 10 individuals for your tank size, and othertimes only one male can be kept with a harem of females.

In general, 2 tangs from the same genus shouldn't be kept in the same tank (Pick one type of alto, one type of julidochromis, for example). And generally, try to pick species that occupy different parts of the tank- shell dwellers, sand sifters, rock dwellers, and open water. Open water is almost always occupied by a school of Cyprichromis in community tanks, and certain fish don't play well with shellies (large julies or leleupi, for example). Frontosa can eat everything else in the tank, and tropheus are too spastic for most other tangs to be happy. Brichardi-complex neolamps (helianthus, daffodils, etc) will kill everything else in a tank once they start breeding. Those are the main species to avoid putting in community tanks.

So here's a cookie cutter style list for a 135g (this is a 6ft long tank, right?) to give you an idea. This set up would require quite a bit of open sand and relatively flat background.

15-20 Cyprichromis spp
8 Altolamprologus spp
6 J. transcriptus or J. ornatus or Eretmodus cyanostictus or L. caudopunctatus
6 L. multifaciatus or other shell dweller (no lepidolamps)
8 Xenotilapia or Enantiopus

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triscuit thanks for the 101 on these fish. I'm going to have to try to figure out some of the names. Like I said I'm new to Tangs although i have had Fronts for a while.... Cool but not for me kinda fish.

Community is where I want to be overall.
15-20 Cyprichromis spp
AWESOME Fish.
8 Altolamprologus spp
These are what got me interested in Tangs
6 J. transcriptus or J. ornatus or Eretmodus cyanostictus or L. caudopunctatus
I'll be honest... I just spent about 40 minutes trying to find these guys in the profiles :? finally found them
6 L. multifaciatus or other shell dweller (no lepidolamps)
I'll take you at your word but 1.5" makes me nervous around the 6" "models"
Xenotilapia or Enantiopus
Try as I might I can't figure out what fish these are.

I'll be honest... I was posting on a bit of a whim just to see if anyone had any thoughts... after reviewing these fish I'm convinced I want to make this happen.

for Plants. what's "good" are there any to avoid?? I'll be running t5's on here. and yes it is a 6' tank...

Thanks a lot for you're response triscuit

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Xeno's and Enant's are sand sifters. Awesome fish. Look under Tanganyika oddities in the profiles.

The mods or admins should fix the profiles so the sandsifters are easier to find, especially with the growing popularity of these types of fish. :fish:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
shellies215 said:
The Xeno's and Enant's are sand sifters. Awesome fish. Look under Tanganyika oddities in the profiles.

The mods or admins should fix the profiles so the sandsifters are easier to find, especially with the growing popularity of these types of fish. :fish:
They are hard to find... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/c ... php?cat=13

Sorry about the short hand names- you'll come across a lot of that in your research for this tank though. I recommend googling the name as typed to find the full name. Oftentimes, C_F comes up as one of the search results. Unfortunately, I haven't had as much luck using the search tools on the site. :roll:

I'll take you at your word but 1.5" makes me nervous around the 6" "models"
You do need to be careful with shellies, but all the species I've listed would be fine with them (in most cases). Avoid the large julidochromis and N. leleupi- the other fish ignore shellies except to snack on fry occasionally. Shellies are quite fierce, given their size. A community of multifaciatus are wonderful to watch; a 3/4"female will chase a 5"goby half way across the tank if it comes too close.

Altos are fry predators who very rarely go for anything larger than 1cm long; Cyps (cyprichromis) are microplankton feeders, even though the big ones can get close to 6". Julies will hunt fry, but the species I've suggested will only get to about 3" long. Gobies (Eretmodus cyanostictus) are clumsy puppy dogs, and I've heard mixed reviews on how aggressive the punks (L. caudopuntatus) are to other tank mates (mine are docile). However, all of these fish will kill competitors of the same species. It's best to have a plan for housing some of the rejects when setting up a tang tank.

Keep doing some research, and going through the species profiles. But- as you are planning, check out what retailers/hobbyists you might use to get these fish. I found that my choices became a bit more simple when I realized I had to stock my first tank from what I could get from one retailer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
excellent advice all around. I know that one of the fish stores I frequent carry a selections of tangs but I know that i'll be limited. I'm going to look further into the local fish community and see if there are any show's coming up too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone offer comment on Plants?

and I was looking at some photo's and the shell tangs... where does everyone get their shells from??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.