Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i'd be pushing my luck with this. In fact, I might already be overstocked! But would adding either 1M 3F of Dimidiochromis compressiceps OR 1M 3F Venustus to this tank be crazy? If not which would you add? Cheers.
135 gallons 72" x 18" x 24 filtered by FX6 and Rena XP4.
3M 3F C.Borleyi
2M 6F C.Moorii
2M 3F S.Freyeri
1M 3F OB peacock
10 P. Acei(big enough not to be eaten)
10 L. caeruleus(big enough not to be eaten)
8 S.multipuncatus

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add breeding it not my objective. Fry don't survive. I just prefer having females to go with the males.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
In a 72x18 I like 5 species that mature <= 6" and 1m:4f of each. Your females would not be safe IMO. If you go with large haps I would do less than 5 species.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. When you say 5 species is that just the haps? Or total including the labs and acei? When you mention the females do you mean IF I added the comp or the venustus group? Or just generally I should bump up the females. Personally I generally have gotten by with fewer females with haps and peacocks. With mbuna I go with many more females.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Total species.

Right now you have 6 groups. A few of those have the potential to grow very large. I'd stick with what you currently have and make adjustments to mbuna numbers when needed.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
You can see what happens, but monitor closely. You may see females languish and/or males not color up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also agree that you may have 1 too many large hap species. I have never had Moorii or Fryeri but my suggestion would be to pick one or the other. May be too similar color for males.

In my 150g I can't have more than 1 male red fin when they breed. I sold the OB Peacocks because when they bred they would attack even the much larger venustus. I can only keep 1M red fin, 1M venustus, 1M VC10 (still growing) and some yellows with females in the tank. The other females dont make it (not large enough or hardy enough) and end up dying off quickly.

3 seems to be a lot of breeding groups for my 150g.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts