Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am currently upgrading my tank from a 55 gallon mbuna tank with acei, yellow labs, and syno lucipinnis to a 135. I am debating if I want to stick with the Mbuna or try my hand at an all male peacock/hap tank.

I love the colors of the all male tank and the ability to have a plethora of different fish. That being said I enjoy the aquascape of a mbuna tank and the personality that comes along with them. I have never had peacocks/haps so I am unsure of their personality, but my current mbuna seem to be really aware of life beyond the tank and are very outgoing. This is what is making me want to stick with the mbuna tank. If I do continue with the Mbuna tank, is there a way to do more species, and not just the 1m/5f with 5 species set up? Could I perhaps do 1m/2f or 3f with less aggressive species such as hongi, rusty, afra, yellow labs, acei, OB, etc.? Still reaching the 25-30 fish maximum.

Next question if that is not possible is, would I be able to run a 1m/3f acei and yellow lab set up with an all male peacock/hap tank? Also, will lucipinnis be able to live in a peacock/hap tank, or are they just too small? Mine are about 3 years old and are roughly 3-4 inches. I am worried they may become a snack to a large hap such as a venustas.

Thanks for your guys' help and knowledge!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Hongi and OB are not less aggressive...I find most fish do best with 4 or more females in the group, even labs and acei.

Yes you can do labs and acei breeding groups with male haps/peacocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Do you think there will be an issue with my 6 syno lucipinnis in a male hap/peacock tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Large predator haps you never know, but those Syno's are pretty mature. I think it would be fairly safe...especially if the venustus are not already huge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
kern_17 said:
...I enjoy the aquascape of a mbuna tank and the personality that comes along with them. I have never had peacocks/haps so I am unsure of their personality, but my current mbuna seem to be really aware of life beyond the tank and are very outgoing.
I have found those same qualities in my peacock/hap/mbuna aquarium. Each fish is unique but operates within the hierarchy of the collective. They also communicate with each other, which about blew my mind when I first saw it.

Regarding aquascaping, while the haps and peacocks may not dwell within the rocks as mbunas do, having rocks, plants or other ornaments is not an automatic detriment, or at least it hasn't been in my experience. During their waking hours, they swim above, through or around the rocks. But at night, they all sink to the depths of the rocks, and I do not see them again till morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fish_gazer said:
kern_17 said:
...I enjoy the aquascape of a mbuna tank and the personality that comes along with them. I have never had peacocks/haps so I am unsure of their personality, but my current mbuna seem to be really aware of life beyond the tank and are very outgoing.
I have found those same qualities in my peacock/hap/mbuna aquarium. Each fish is unique but operates within the hierarchy of the collective. They also communicate with each other, which about blew my mind when I first saw it.

Regarding aquascaping, while the haps and peacocks may not dwell within the rocks as mbunas do, having rocks, plants or other ornaments is not an automatic detriment, or at least it hasn't been in my experience. During their waking hours, they swim above, through or around the rocks. But at night, they all sink to the depths of the rocks, and I do not see them again till morning.
Thanks for your response! This helped me make my decision, I am going to take a try at an all male peacock/hap tank with a breeding group of acei and yellow labs. Do you have any fish recommendations that are relatively peaceful? Have not even started looking into stocking options, that is going to be more hours of research! :lol: Also, any words of advice on how to start? Did you just purchase a handful of juvies for each species and rehome the sub dominant males and females? Or did you purchase males?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a mixed Malawi tank with mbuna, haps and peacocks. They are all juveniles. I had aggression issues for awhile, but some timeouts in a 10 gallon tank with a divider for a couple weeks, seemed to work for me. I took my Venustus and my Demasoni and placed them in timeout. The remaining fish got along great with them out of the tank. I eventually placed them both back in the tank and all was fine and still is. My Venustus is ruling the tank because he is growing so fast. He is not mean, but everybody knows he is the boss. My experience with Aceis and Yellow Labs has been positive. They are very peaceful. My most docile haps so far have been my Linni, my VC 10 and my Red Fin Borleyi. This may all change over time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forkman said:
I have a mixed Malawi tank with mbuna, haps and peacocks. They are all juveniles. I had aggression issues for awhile, but some timeouts in a 10 gallon tank with a divider for a couple weeks, seemed to work for me. I took my Venustus and my Demasoni and placed them in timeout. The remaining fish got along great with them out of the tank. I eventually placed them both back in the tank and all was fine and still is. My Venustus is ruling the tank because he is growing so fast. He is not mean, but everybody knows he is the boss. My experience with Aceis and Yellow Labs has been positive. They are very peaceful. My most docile haps so far have been my Linni, my VC 10 and my Red Fin Borleyi. This may all change over time.
Awesome, thank you. I think my plan will be to buy 3 of each species and pull out the dominant male and re-home the others. I got a 10 gallon tank I can use for the time out tank, I will make sure to get that up and running. I will look into those fish you listed, thanks for the recommendation!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I purchase known males. The problem with raising juveniles is that you can't mix them in one tank until they mature, and then rehome females. You lose the ability to ID the separate species. You would need 12 tanks to raise juveniles to obtain 12 males.

You could raise juveniles for one species in the big tank. But mostly I buy known males.

·
Registered
165 Posts
kern_17 said:
fish_gazer said:
kern_17 said:
Do you have any fish recommendations that are relatively peaceful?

Also, any words of advice on how to start? Did you just purchase a handful of juvies for each species and rehome the sub dominant males and females? Or did you purchase males?
I am not qualified to offer stocking advice, I have observed however, that relatively peaceful fish can be aggressive, and relatively aggressive fish can be peaceful. It just depends on your setup, what's in it and most importantly, the individual fish's disposition.

I started with unsexed juveniles (haps and mbunas), then added the male peacocks after my then dominant male went hyper alpha and tried to destroy every living thing in my aquarium. I rehomed him and all the females after that episode!

I have rehomed 3 dominate males/bullies over the months rather than remove the sub-dominant males. My current alpha is dominant, but he's not an a-hole...most days. I rehomed one fish who was being bullied, and another who turned out to be female after being in an all male tank for 7 months!

Talk about drama with these things, there is that. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts