Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to breed and need some advice. I know I'm going to have Melanchromis Cyaneorhabdos, and Labidochromis Caeruleus. I'm also would like a vertical striped fish that would get along with the other 2 and any other suggestion are welcomed.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ps. Demasoni... :thumb: Those r the 3 species I have in my 75G, and they r breeding like crazy. :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Demasoni were exactly what I was considering getting. I have 12 M.Cyaneorhabdos already, how many of each will fit?

·
Registered
825 Posts
At least 15 for the Dems. I have 12 M. Cyaneorhabdos and 10 YL in my 75G right now. What is the footprint of ur tank?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is 72 x 18 x23, I'm buying it on Saturday. Right now I have 48" 50 gal with the M.Cyaneorhabdos in it. The plan is to keep the 50 for a grow out tank. My girlfriend is mad and thinks I'm wasting my money.

·
Registered
478 Posts
How much does your girlfriend spend on cosmetics/clothes/hairstyling etc.

Sounds like a good purchase to me. I think you'd get away with another species or two in a tank that size.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Acei to take advantage of the height of the tank. Although personally I prefer Socolofi.

·
Registered
495 Posts
sounds expensive lol... should be very nice large tank tho.. over stock for those #'s because you will need to pull alot of males to get a correct male to female ratio. no more that 4 males of ea type once they are larger.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My plan was to order females from a online site that says they sex the fish for you, then find males from another supplier to avoid insest defects.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I've learned since joining this site that breeding siblings and parent/child does not introduce defects as previously thought. So as long as the fish have a choice of mates (even if all the choices are relatives) any defects will not be any greater and may be less than if you buy each fish from a different gene pool.

Do a search on posts by Number6.

This way you can save lots of $$ by buying unsexed juveniles and improve the gene pool at the same time.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
DJRansome said:
I've learned since joining this site that breeding siblings and parent/child does not introduce defects as previously thought. So as long as the fish have a choice of mates (even if all the choices are relatives) any defects will not be any greater and may be less than if you buy each fish from a different gene pool.

Do a search on posts by Number6.

This way you can save lots of $$ by buying unsexed juveniles and improve the gene pool at the same time.
quoted for truth

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sweet thanks for the info it'll be a lot easier to just order from 1 supplier.

P.S. I just got my tank home today I'm real excited but I'm going to take my time setting everything up rocks, substrate, and all that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll definitely be posting pics, due to the price of fish I'll probably be adding 1 group per month, once everything is running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts