Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help and suggestions on filtering for a 135g with one single center brace at the top. Was thinking 2 Fluval FX5s and 2 Marineland Emperor 400s one each side of the brace. Is this a bit over kill? It will be a mixed tank with Malawi & Tang cichlids. Silica sand will be the substrate.

The largest tank I have is a 55 with a Marineland 360 & an Emperor 400 and they do a good job now after some media changes and regular weekly water changes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have 1 fx5 in a 125 with a maxijet 1200 and the largest power sweep they make, that's it. It's more then enough for me.2 fx5's is overkill in my opinion. The HOB's I would keep unless you go for a DIY spray bar on the fx5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flippercon said:
I have 1 fx5 in a 125 with a maxijet 1200 and the largest power sweep they make, that's it. It's more then enough for me.2 fx5's is overkill in my opinion. The HOB's I would keep unless you go for a DIY spray bar on the fx5.
OOhhh spray bar : ) I like the sound of that. Hadn't thought of that at all. Wouldn't it be too powerful off of a FX5 though? I'm imagining PVC piping running along the top of the tank with small holes intermittently drilled into the side. Best way to deal with the water pressure? I have read the FX5 output is in another league to other canisters.

rgr4475 said:
Overkill probably. Would I do the exact same thing, probably. :lol:
Thanks - I'm glad I'm not the only one. Overkill is the way forward!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Let me shoot a video of the surface agitation on my 125. It's a 6' long. Give me about twenty minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sent me to a .jpg link. Would love to see that video if possible. What size PVC piping are you using?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Its 3/4 pvc with a t street 90 hose adapter. I used 1 T and 9 90s. the fx5 is a beast. I switch the link let me know if it works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool - think I am going to look further into a spray bar. What are the sea swirl like pumps you are using? Is there one in each corner?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The one on the left is a max jet 1200 it does not automatically rotate. The one on the right is a zoo med power sweep 2 somthing it was the biggest one they had at the lfs. The power sweep rotates automatically and is easier to pivot. The bad thing on them is they tend to require a little more cleaning due to the moving part sticking every so often. They are a good way to get water movement but they can be an eye sore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a Koralia Evo 1050 at the moment in the 55g and I'm really happy with it. Would be nice if it rotated though. I saw a Zoo-Med 228 in action on a 110G and it did a good job but your right it was a bit of an eye sore and the guy said he needed to clean it a lot more than he would have thought he needed to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts