·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have:
JD Pair
JD
Convict

I want to get an Oscar, anybody have any suggestions as to what else I could put in the tank.

I might bring the JD back to the store, but this depends on if its a male or not (still a juvie).

The tank is going to be 72 x 18x 22.

·
Registered
799 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
It'd be an awfully empty tank don't you think?
Certainly would be, but an empty tank would be better than sticking a breeding pair of dempseys in with a clumsy oscar and two other outasts. But thats just MO. :D

I'd do an oscar a Dempsey a convict and a salvini... or RTM, or some other medium sized cichlid...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Here is what I was thinking about doing.
Separating the JD pair in a section of the tank at first.
In the rest of the tank
JD
Convict
Oscar
Chocolate
then after the other Oscar gets some size on it I will remove the divider.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
In my opinion/experience... a 125 gal is good for 5 medium Cichlids... medium Cichlids meaning JD, Sev, GT or the like...

I personally love having breeding pairs in a community setting, but it is very difficult at best. I do not suggest anyone try this unless they have alternative tanks to move problemed fish to.

I think you should house the pair separate from the others...

I think a 125 gal w/ : Oscar, JD, Convict (you could do a pair), Chocolate & 2~3 Male (or 4~5 Female) W African Jewels...

Convict pairs are satisfied with very small territories compared to Dempseys or other CA’s... Convicts are the one fish I keep in community settings and rarely have a problem with...

W African Jewels are not CA or even SA... but they do live in the same water conditions naturally (W African Rivers as opposed to rift lakes). They stay smaller (4~5") but are aggressive for their size. I've been using them as dithers for my SA/CA Cichlids for a little over a year now and they have been working great. Breeding pairs can be quite aggressive though so I would avoid pairs in a community setting.

Using the divider is also a reasonable option, but divided display tanks are hard to make pretty… I’d assume that looks matter on this tank.

Whatever you decide on… it sounds like your on the right track and you also seem to be getting some balanced advice…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.