Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a chance to get a 125g tank that needs to be resealed for $60. Thinking about getting it but the guy says it never came with any center braces on it. The trim on top looks unmodified but the thought of it not have any bracing on a 6ft tank scares me. He said it is an older tank and am waiting to hear back from him on the actual thickness of the glass.

So how thick would it have to be to not need the braces?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
i have seen brand new 120s made with 1/2" glass and no center brace. However, if it is a concern for you, add a glass center brace when you reseal. if you plan on glass tops having a center brace can be a benefit, whether it is actually needed or not.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt a 120g a 4 or 5 foot tank? I just dont wanna end up with alot of water on my floor one day and NEVER hear the end of it from my other half. I am thinking of adding a brace too. Can the brace be siliconed right on the lip of the plastic top trim piece or does it have to be glass to glass.

·
Registered
87 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Isnt a 120g a 4 or 5 foot tank? I just dont wanna end up with alot of water on my floor one day and NEVER hear the end of it from my other half. I am thinking of adding a brace too. Can the brace be siliconed right on the lip of the plastic top trim piece or does it have to be glass to glass.
I don't know it's origin in that the tank was given to me but my 55G has a glass center brace. The glass is 6.5" wide and is attached with silicon just under the plastic trim on the glass. My 125G has three braces which are part plastic and part of the trim. If you decide to do the glass I would consider what you are going to put on top of the tank (lighting and hoods). Make sure you set up the braces to fit with any top components.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
So it has no braces at all? I had a 125g (6 ft) with a broken top center brace, but the bottom center brace was still OK. I didn't have any bowing. It was an older tank with just 1 center brace, rather than the newer ones with 3. IMO the biggest downside on no center brace(s) would be lid placement. The water will evaporate quickly with no lids and it was a pain constantly topping it off or listening to the splashing.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah from the pictures and what I was told it never came with any on it, and the top frames looks as if it was never cut making me beleive him since it has the nice clean lip all the way around it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I wonder if it was originally designed for reptiles. I don't know...it would suck to put all the effort into resealing it only to discover it bows without the brace.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly what I was thinking. He is gonna actually measure the glass thickness and get back to me, but I think I might be better off just shelling out the money for a new or proven aquarium rather than find out the hard way unless it is like 1/2" glass.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My 125 is 3/8 glass with one center brace.

And the glass thickness

I would put the glass brace in just under the plastic trim . That way your just relying on the glass and silicone. It shouldn't be visible . I would go with a 6" piece or so too. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
The 120 I speak of is a 6' tank. if the tank was used as an aquarium, then you shopuld be good to go.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got the email back from the guy and he said it is 1/2" glass on it. With the talk of having a hard time finding tops that will fit without the braces I think I am gonna pass on this one.

Just for future reference and maybe to help others, is 1/2" glass thick enough to support a 6ft tank without any cross braces? (You never know when I may stumble upon a great deal and would be nice to know)

On the upside, I did find another 125g with a stand (stand in rough shape though) for $100 and offered her $70. Said I can have any other fish related stuff she had laying around too, so will see what she says to that offer. Hopefully I will be taking a road trip this weekend. Then I will have something to do on my off time. Can build a new stand, 3D BG, Paint it, and gather some stuff. :thumb: :fish: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One other question. If I do go and get this tank this weekend would you guys think it would be ok to transport it on my 5 x 8 utility trailer behind my car, or do you think that the trailer bouncing would break the tank even if it was strapped down? I do have a truck I could take to get it but with gas $$$'s I would rather not.

Thanks in advance. Ben

·
Registered
623 Posts
I wouldnt pass, thats a deal and a half. I have seen plenty of 5ft and 6ft without center braces. I would not be concerned if it was designed without one, however if i were you i would simply make one for like $10

If you wrapped the tank in a blanket i see no problem putting it on a trailer.

Whats with these amazing deals you people get on tanks in the States?!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not sure what kinda car you have but would your car get better mpg towing a trailer and tank n stand? And id feel safer with the tank in the truck but just a personal preference

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We moved our 180g bowfront on a trailer and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frazee86 said:
Not sure what kinda car you have but would your car get better mpg towing a trailer and tank n stand? And id feel safer with the tank in the truck but just a personal preference
I was thinking of taking our Chev HHR with the trailer, but also can take the Tahoe if it will fit in there, or my Silverado. The HHR w/trailer will still get way better mileage than either of the trucks too.

Thinking if I fold the seat down in Tahoe that it should fit in there, will have to go out and measure it up to be sure.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Older Oceanic tanks didn't have center braces.. Even if 6' long..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts