Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm keeping an eye out for a 150-180g tank for my pair of jaguars. Today, I found an amazing deal on a 125 long tank for $125. I almost bought it immediately. But the next tank I need is for my jags. Is the extra depth and height really that important for this species which spends most of their time at the bottom of the tank?

Any input is appreciated!!

I heard a LFS manager today tell a customer that they don't carry jags cuz they are a waste of time... these are STUNNING fish! I want to keep them properly, so if I have to pass on a great deal, so be it, but I'd love this 125g to be ok!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Taken from Aquarium Science website ...

"In our opinion, the ideal Jaguar Cichlid tank size is somewhere in the 100 to 125 gallon range. That should provide plenty of room for a single Jaguar Cichlid to roam free and be healthy.

If you want to keep a breeding pair (more on that at the end of the guide), you need to bump up that aquarium size to at least 180 gallons. Even bonded pairs can exhibit some signs of aggression every once in a while. A massive tank ensures that both fish can have their own space."

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several sources and even in Dr. Loiselle's book though, he says the aggression during mating time will be increased and one should have a tank divider handy. Fertilization can still occur with a 1/4" gap under the divider to allow sperm to fertilize eggs.

I'm more concerned about their happiness in the tank itself... if that makes sense!

I think I'm gonna hold off on this tank as it doesn't come with a stand or high quality canisters... even though it comes with 2 of them, they are cheap. Right now, my jaguars are young and getting along fine... I'm keeping a close eye on them and the other eye out for a good deal!

Thanks for input though Stu!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
$1 per gallon is a good price for a used tank. Even if it comes with crummy filters or no stand if the tank is scratch free it may be a good buy.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
All good advice Andy. And, at this point it's all about successfully keeping the PAIR of your Parachromis managuensis together successfully. And, as you suspected, the bottom 'foot print size; is the key factor in selecting the tank. Minimum size for your pair will be 72" X 24" bottom size dimensions. A 150G, 180G or even a 225g all will have the same bottom foot print. That's all good, in this case.
But, for keeping a pair those tank-busting, Apex Predators? A bigger aquarium, will ALWAYS be better. So, if you somehow stumble onto an even bigger sized, used aquarium (at a decent price) - GET IT!!! :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 180 with a 24 in width is vastly superior to any 18 in wide tank. I once read in an article, by an aquarium curator in SoCal, that any tank housing a big cichlid should be at minimum a width of 3/4 the fish length. I have a pair of 180's, one holds a 16 in Red Devil, the other a cousin of the Jag, Motaguensis. He is about a foot long. I don't consider either tank in any way too big for these fish. Absolute minimum for a pair of Jags is 6x24x24. 180 USG. Imo of course.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I bow to the new world people...the Africans I keep are not that long, bulky or aggressive.

I did not mean the 125 size was ideal for your needs, but rather don't get hung up on worthless extras if the price of the tank alone is good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As I read my previous post.. not quite right,lol. In fact, it's the fish that should not exceed 3/4 of the tank width. Simpler still, an 8 in fish is the longest fish you should have in a 12 in wide tank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.

That really did answer my question. I just wasn't sure if that extra bit of depth made a difference. Since it seems that it does, I'll wait for the correct size!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts