Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6' 125G tank that is almost ready for fish. In the meantime I am having a really tough time figuring out what to put in it. I started with wanted an Mbuna tank, then mixed malawi, then all male Hap, then I came across the frontosa pics which at first I thought were ugly, but when I started researching more I ended up really liking them.

However, after reading through pages of posts I am questioning whether it is worth even considering Frontosa since most recommendation I see say 3-4 Fronts for a 125G and a Frontosa only stocking list. So that means 4 fish for a 125G tank.

Given that argument I think I just convinced myself to try a non Frontosa stocking list, but I will post anyway for comment. Unless...Would a single Frontosa work in a Malawai Hap tank?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would think you could get away with more than 4 fronts in the 125. I would think you should be okay with atleast six in there.

Also, yes a single front would most likely work with haps. You would just have to watch out for the haps nipping the fronts trailers as well as make sure the front was getting enough to eat, being as they are slow feeders/

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charles that was exactly my concern. I realize they can get big, which is one reason I think they would be cool to have. But at the same time, 6 fish in a 125 is pretty empty as you said, even if they are big.

So my new question would be what is the source of the limitation? Is it because that much fish is enough for a 125 in terms of filtration and space available - so no more fish would "fit"? Or is it the limitation of the frontosa themselves - so adding other fish would still be ok? The reason I ask is because if you were to go with 6-8 fronts would you still be able to have a few more fish in a 125?

And I know its a question no one will like, but how many could you do? Lets say the starting point is 8 (2M+6F) frontosa and 4-5 bottom feeders, how many large haps would you be able to accommodate, assuming I went with an all male hap assortment?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts