Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Now we're talking!
Picked up some soil and fishbowls, another round of plants on the way (3 kinds of moss, 4 more Java fern and 4 more anubias).
Oh yeah, that'll start getting that wood set up right, and looking good for you. When the non-substrate rooting types adapt to the environmental conditions in your aquarium and start growing strongly, they can be propagated and spread around further, as well. This new plant growth is exactly what you need, as it will be most resistant to the algae fighting against it.
-
And with the smaller-sized Geophagus steindachneri, your six foot long tank should give them plenty of room in there to sift, dig and work through that sand substrate - even if a lot of it is taken up by rocks, potted plants and wood structure. They're gonna do just fine. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmmm I’m thinking I may have lost the A. Metae somehow, didn’t see him at all today, even during feeding, no clue what could’ve happened, couldn’t find him anywhere, didn’t have time to move any hardscape around though.

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Yikes! That is normally a pretty hardy species.... is it possible he just - jumped out - of the aquarium? And, you are using established filtration media from some of your other tanks to seed out/inoculate the new media in this one, correct?
Meaning - this aquarium is not going through an initial ammonia/nitrite bacteria cycle, is it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well the jump out was my guess, there was a small opening that I should’ve covered better but I looked all over and couldn’t find him, pretty confused.

yeah I usedsome old media and did a full fishless cycle. Been taking readings every day, 0-0-10 pretty steady, I did a water change yesterday, tank was 76 after it (keeping at 78), used Safe, no other fish look distressed or anything (the Geos are significantly smaller and looked real healthy).

i am pretty confused, doubt it would have hid all day without a peep. Just can figure how he could’ve jumped out without a trace, unfortunately I had to leave after school today and it’s locked up tomorrow, the mystery will have to wait….

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mystery solved! He did jump out, but jumped into the corner overflow that is against the wall, I took a video looking into it yesterday and he must’ve been hiding, but spotted him today, got him out, should be good!

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Not sure why they do that.... I had a Cutteri that was apparently just FASCINATED by the corner overflows in the 180 gallon tank he was in. I didn't lose him either. But unfortunately, kept finding that knucklehead down in the overflow box. Lost track of how many times he went in.... Maybe it's the current thing or something that kept him coming back?
I dunno.
Just be sure you have a tight cover over the corner overflows in your tank. So, if yours keeps going over also, at least he'll just wind up in the overflow box.

Again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tank is stocked and plants are in, I’m going to change over the pots to some plastic fishbowls with the organic soil that was recommended next week hopefully.

5 koi Angels
Bird Beak Jaw Organism Fawn

Left side of tank
Water Plant Plant community Vegetation Pet supply

Whole tank
Plant Water Botany Organism Vegetation

10 Geophagus Steindachneri (Red Hump)
Water Fin Fish Seafood Marine biology

Aequidens metae (yellow acara)
Plant Wood Branch Iguania Twig

Right side of tank
Plant Water Botany Organism Vegetation

L187 Pleco (2)
Bird Beak Organism Feather Water

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Your tank looks great! The plants are young and still a bit undersized, but they'll start growing strongly for you soon enough.
You need to fix those Anubias down better onto the bog wood pieces. You can actually use super glue for any you might be considering placing on rocks. I would make sure it's a good rock with some coarseness to it and edges etc. for the roots to wrap around onto.
Same with the moss. You can put yourself into a spell tying of little clumps of that stuff here and there throughout the tank! Time Consuming!
And no.... NO More Fish! You said it yourself remember - the water change thing might at times be less than perfectly scheduled. You're gonna need low fish numbers (bio-load), with a high amount of plant mass (Nitrate Hoovering Sponges) to keep that tank dialed in with Nitrates measured under 20 PPM.
Be careful! Your Earth Eaters are almost certainly the most sensitive fish in the tank. Very Sensitive to getting HITH/HLLE if the water quality slips and they get stressed, (Immune suppression).
Nope, give everyone time to grow out a good bit. They're babies! Then, a bit further on when you see how this tank actually works to 'manage it's business', you should look into potential new addition(s), Hmmmm.... Maybe 3 of those Mesonauta festivum, Flag Cichlids you missed this time around?. :cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sounds good, I’ll keep the stocking as is. Looks like I’m picking up a 55G full setup that I thought was going pretty cheap (2 large penguin filters and a Current USA LED full spectrum light) for $150). Well, there’s also a yellow lab and Electric blue acara (both full grown), I can give the Acara to a buddy and try to rehome the lab.

Thanks for the the the superglue idea, I had figured that they would just grab on with the roots and lock in after a bit.
I thought I was done, but bought some Amazon Swords to add to the mix too.

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Oh cool. What is the 55G for? Possible quarantine/hospital/grow out tank? Or, another potential home side project?

bought some Amazon Swords to add to the mix too.
NUTRITION HAWGS!!!!! You are definitely gonna need to pot up those Amazon Swords in your fish bowls. And, what size did you get? Too small, and you will wind up re-potting those things just about every year. They grow a TON of roots - super fast.
But, those Bad Boyz do eat some Nitrates outta the water of an aquarium. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I have some gallon and some quart size bowls, guess I’ll put those in the gallon!

I’m going to also set it up at school for now, going to put some plants in it of things that sound easy to propagate (so I don’t have to buy any more). Thinking start with a sword, crypt, and some jungle Val.

Im thinking of either not stocking with fish or just do a species tank with one of the Africans I was considering or maybe trying a C Saulosi planted tank.
I had messaged back and forth a few years back with @fmueller about some planted C. Saulosi tanks he had done and that’s always been on my “want to try” list.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not what I was expecting so far, but nitrates haven’t climbed up to 10 really so far, did a 40% water change on Friday and the nitrates today are barely registering on the scale. Didn’t think the plants would keep the nitrates down that much, even with juvies in the tank.

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Well....
Didn’t think the plants would keep the nitrates down that much, even with juvies in the tank.
-
Yes, aquatic plants will actively consume Nitrates out of the water of your aquarium. However, your plants are - PROBABLY - now consuming the much easier to process (more delicious?) Ammonia and Nitrite compounds out of the water. Doing that will basically have the same overall chemistry effects in the aquarium... BUT, it helps to remember that the beneficial bacteria in your filtration media and the aquatic plants are both basically competing for that same source of food! So the downstream effects of this are - less beneficial bacteria numbers will be colonized/established on your filtration media. They are there, yes. They will just NOT be present in the same numbers as they would be in a tank without aquatic plants to compete against.
-
Meaning? You will have weak (but still established) filtration media compared to the media taken from non-planted tanks. So, if you need to transfer that media over to a new (non-planted) aquarium, it will take just a bit longer to grow out the beneficial bacteria numbers needed in filtration media originating from a heavily planted tank.

·
Premium Member
4,864 Posts
Oh yeah..... And the best part about this? 'The Show' is just fixing to begin! Once adult sizes are attained in that species, they are just flat-out beautiful.
There's your Centerpiece Cichlid! :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts