Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the process of setting up my new 125G :D. I've always wanted a 6Ft tank and very excited now that I have one. I do currently have a running 90G which has been up for about 6 months now. I have yet to decide if I will carry over what's in the 90G, or start completely fresh in the 125G.

Current 90G stock

7 Yellow Labs
6 White Tail Acei
5 Albino Socolofi
5 Synodontis Multipunctatus

All fish are currently between 1.5 - 2 inches. No spawning has taken place and I'm currently unsure of male - female ratio.

Now onto the 125G stocking, So far I'd to keep:

1M 4F Pseudotropheus sp. ''Williamsi North'' Makonde
http://www.safhl.net/davesfish/images/P ... akonde.jpg

1M 4F Metriaclima sp. ''Membe Deep''
http://www.safhl.net/davesfish/images/M ... 20Deep.jpg

1M 4F Cynotilapia afra Cobwe ''Orange Back'' albino
http://www.safhl.net/davesfish/images/C ... Albino.jpg

I know these 3 species have similar color with yellow and orange. Do you think this will be too much yellow / orange within the tank? Will the color similarity cause aggression issues within the groups?

The tank will need a strong dose of blue to contrast against the yellow / orange. Any recommendations would be very grateful. I was thinking maybe a group of 20 Demasoni's but not sure. I do also like Cynotilapia sp. Hara.

What would you do?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I'd be worried about stocking both the Williamsi and the Membe Deep in the same tank. The Williamsi are a little bit more on the timid side and I'd worry that they'd get picked on by the Membe (at least until the Williamsi start getting a lot bigger than the membe, which will happen eventually). If you do leave your 90 gallon set up as a mbuna tank, you could always move one over if you observe cross-species aggression or poor coloration.

Cynotilapia afra (cobue) are also on the timid side and most people say that the males only show their best colors when they are king of the tank (or at least with other less-aggressive species). They'd probably be fine with acei, yellow labs, and Williamsi, but might not color up with socolofi, membe deep, and almost definitely not show full color with demasoni.

If I were in your shoes, I would stock my two tanks like this:

90g
C. afra (cobue)
Ps. williamsi
Ps. Acei (ngara)
Yellow labs

125g
Socolofi (albino)
Met. Membe deep
other
other
other
Syno. Multipunctatus

for the other species I'd probably stock a Labeotropheus, Demasoni, and maybe blue labs?
Just a suggestion.

Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I would put the Acei in the 125g and also add a labeo. fuelleborni of some type to the 125g.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not plan to keep both tanks running. I should have made this clear in my first post. I do have homes for any species not carried over to the 125G.

Kanorin:
I am very interested in keeping Williamsi. So for sure I am now thinking:
Williamsi
C. Afra (Cobue) Albino
Ps. Acei (Ngara)... might go with yellow tails.
Multipunctatus

Can C.Afra (Cobue) and C. Sp Hara coexist?

-Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts