Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just moved and the wife gave me the go ahead to get a new 125G. I had a 55 and 75 at the old house. Being as we were moving, I didn't really have time to cycle the new tank properly. I used all the filtration from the 55 and 75 and used it on the 125. Filters are a Fluval 405, 2 Emperor 400s, 2 Sunsun H303Bs with UV. I installed the filters and filled the tank up. I have always used Seachem Prime to treat my tap water. Ha e kept the UV turned off while cycling. Then I added my Africans from my other two tanks that night. 22 of them that are mostly peacocks and a few haps. That's alot for an initial load I know but time was not on my side as we were selling the old house and I had to get the other two tanks out of there. I thought I'd only maybe have a mini cycle being as I used 5 seeded filters. I'm a month into the tank running now and I'm still getting 4.0 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and nitrate. Ph 8.0. Temp is about 81 or 82. I have used a bottle of Stability as the directions said and a bottle of Dr Tim's one and only as instructed. None of which seems to help drop that ammonia and start the cycling process. I purchased a seachem alert which measures only free ammonia and it reads .05 alert which suggests the 4.0 Ammonia reading I get on API master test kit is mostly ammonium. Also I know Prime can give you false readings. I do have some chloramines in my tap. Ammonia read about .5 with the API kit out of the tap. But basically about a month in and I still don't have that nitrite spike yet from ammonia being oxidized. Do larger tanks take longer to cycle? Is there something else I should doing? I've been doing frequent water changes of 25% to 50% to keep the total ammonia down below 4 ppm as I've read that too high ammonia can stall a cycle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Get a 12oz bottle of StartSmart complete and add the whole bottle; it's the only bottled bacteria I've ever had work. Actually, I used a double dose when I set up my 75 and it was able to drop ammonia from 2 ppm to 0 over night, no rise in nitrites, and nitrates slowly started to climb. There is a tread in the Equipment and Supplies section:

http://cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 6&t=431409

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some of the smart start from my LFS. Tried the entire bottle which says treats 120 Gallons. No change. I just don't understand what is happening. I've never had cycling issues before. Even bought a new test kit. Same readings in it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
One bottle isn't going to be enough to cycle a 125 gallon tank with that many fish overnight. You're going to have to dose two bottles at a time, several times until everything stabilizes at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get some more I suppose. I'm a month in and just have zero nitrite and nitrate. I kind of think I should at least have the first set of bacteria starting to come in somewhat. Especially as i used seeded filters from my old tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also my ammonia has been holding where it is the past few days which makes me hopeful I'm about to get a nitrite spike in the future. I have not changed the water in several days and I'm thinking about continuing not to do so unless my fish show signs if stress. I feel like by changing that much water I'm disturbing what BB colony might be starting to grow. Even though it is usually in the filters and substrate.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Water changes aren't going to affect the BB. They attach to surfaces in the aquarium and filter, very little are free floating.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Keep the ammonia under 1ppm by changing the water if necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys been doing about 50% water changes every other day. Dosed again a few days ago with BB. They were out of that so I used some API quickstart yesterday. Finally have some signs of it getting started now. Tonight my parameters are as follows: PH 8.2, NH3/NH4 between 1 and 2, NO2 .5, NO3 5.0. I'm doing a water change now for the fishes sake. Good news is that it is at least trending in the right direction now. Thank you all. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. Just tested my water this morning and I have PH of 8.0, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and 10-20 Nitrate. Woohoo. I continued the 50% water changes every other day and kept doing with API quick start after the eater change. Seems I am cycled now. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you. Happy fish keeping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.