Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i want you to see my all done 125g tank for african cichlids, hope you like it. And tell me if those fish i have are pseudotropheus acei or something else, and the other ones are cynotilapia afra red top. But still so small to show true colors.

- Main tank 125g
- DIY Sump with matrix, purigen, lava rock, ceramic blocks and going to add some plants like pothos to help me withg nitrates.
- Led Light with dimmers (BLUE, WHITE AND Pink for anubias or java moss)
- Return pump: HYGGER 2150gph
- DIY 3D Background i made myself

FISH:

- 8 Pseudotropheus Acei NGARA i think correct me if im wrong
- 6 Cynotilapia afra Red top
- Trying to find some Msobo Magunga but cant find any. Favorite of all cichlids. :thumb: :fish:
- 1 Common Plecostomus want something prettier :fish:

In sump one blue crayfish i use to have it in main tank, but everytime he/she tries to eat the other fish, and im affraid of them, or the fish could kill it. It look pretty in sump with sand.

MTAN.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Felicidades! Me gusta mucha!

Yes, I believe that they are Acei - not able to tell which kind, Ngara or not...
I don't know about the red-tops, I don't keep them.
Good luck with the Msobo! I really like those guys. The Magunga is a good choice - they're the ones that we keep.

Plants though... OK - so, everyone will tell you that they plants won't work with Mbuna. They are right. Your acei are going to bite on the plants constantly, and they will soon look like mierda and then they will die. But- if you insist on trying it, get some potassium bicarbonate. At high pH, CO2 cannot exist in the water and your plants will starve. You can correct this by using Potassium Bicarbonate to increase the KH of your water by one degree. Take note of how much it took to do this. This will bring your potassium level up to about 7ppm which is good for the fish and the plants. This will also provide some bicarbonate for the plants to eat, because there will be no CO2.

For me, all of this worked when the fish were small.... like your Acei now. When the Acei got to be about 13cm, they were too hard on the plants. I've basically removed all of them (I had a lot - over 30-40 anubias plants/java fern at first). Most died... though I also had anubias rhizome rot go through the tank, and it killed a great many of them. All that could be saved were saved from the Acei...

·
Registered
31,196 Posts
Your "acei" are Copadichromis borleyi. Luckily, they don't bother plants.... but you might want to rethink how you want to stock the tank, given you have some Haps, and some mbuna... they aren't impossible to keep together, and you can keep what you have together now... but have to make a choice as to how to stock the balance of the tank. Is this a mbuna tank, then probably get rid of the borleyi... is it a Hap/peacock tank, which will be easier to keep plants with... then proceed from there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you SenorStrum, i guess ill have to wait for the anubias or have ferns, and i hope the aceis dont strart bothering my plants. but otherwise i really like my tank and wanting to get those msobo magunga or maybe if i dont find them some gallireya reef.

Im not sure Foglhund, they really look like Copadichromis Borleyis, but they do look like Aceis, do the borleyi change colors or stay like that purple with orange fins?.

·
Super Moderator
40,370 Posts
IME borleyi have orange fins and acei have yellow fins.

I would make sure which they are before you add mbuna. Note that IME the acei and the gallireya reef (Cynotilapia sp. hara) look similar so if you are going for contrast, keep that in mind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome i know they cyntilapia Hara and Galireya reef look similar, but the hara has light blue and the other one it is darker

·
Super Moderator
40,370 Posts
These are not two different fish. From Cichlidae:

Distribution: Only known from Gallireya Reef (= Hara Reef), on the northwestern coast of Lake Malawi between Hara and Chilumba (Konings, 2004, 2007).

Localities: Gallireya Reef (Malawi, endemic).
The fish range from a mid blue to almost white with black bars depending on mood.

·
Super Moderator
40,370 Posts
Acei and hara? Not likely as long as there are plenty of females for every male within each species group. It is my desire for a contrasting appearance that was an issue for me. I had both and ended up swapping out the acei for something else.

·
Super Moderator
40,370 Posts
I would not do demasoni with afra...two species with blue barred fish. You could try Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos maingano for a similar color blue.

However, if Fogulhund says those are borleyi...they are. Also you mentioned they have orange fins, which confirm the identification. You might be better with yellow labs. Skip the maingano if there is ANY chance those are borleyi.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THE ONES I really like are the msobo magunga cuz the females already look that yelowish or orange color and the males awesome blue with black spots, but cant find any small ones, only adult size

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Felicidades! Me gusta mucha!

Yes, I believe that they are Acei - not able to tell which kind, Ngara or not...
I don't know about the red-tops, I don't keep them.
Good luck with the Msobo! I really like those guys. The Magunga is a good choice - they're the ones that we keep.

Plants though... OK - so, everyone will tell you that they plants won't work with Mbuna. They are right. Your acei are going to bite on the plants constantly, and they will soon look like mierda and then they will die. But- if you insist on trying it, get some potassium bicarbonate. At high pH, CO2 cannot exist in the water and your plants will starve. You can correct this by using Potassium Bicarbonate to increase the KH of your water by one degree. Take note of how much it took to do this. This will bring your potassium level up to about 7ppm which is good for the fish and the plants. This will also provide some bicarbonate for the plants to eat, because there will be no CO2.

For me, all of this worked when the fish were small.... like your Acei now. When the Acei got to be about 13cm, they were too hard on the plants. I've basically removed all of them (I had a lot - over 30-40 anubias plants/java fern at first). Most died... though I also had anubias rhizome rot go through the tank, and it killed a great many of them. All that could be saved were saved from the Acei...
Thank you AMIGOOO lol ;)

·
Registered
31,196 Posts
Thank you SenorStrum, i guess ill have to wait for the anubias or have ferns, and i hope the aceis dont strart bothering my plants. but otherwise i really like my tank and wanting to get those msobo magunga or maybe if i dont find them some gallireya reef.

Im not sure Foglhund, they really look like Copadichromis Borleyis, but they do look like Aceis, do the borleyi change colors or stay like that purple with orange fins?.

Perhaps post some pictures that are more close up.

This picture clearly depicts borleyi.

Male borleyi change substantially, females not at all...

This is what a male would look like... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...finBorleyi-productimage_800x.jpg?v=1617386685

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps post some pictures that are more close up.

This picture clearly depicts borleyi.

Male borleyi change substantially, females not at all...

This is what a male would look like... https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...finBorleyi-productimage_800x.jpg?v=1617386685
But mines are not even close to that color, they are all purple with yellow fins not orange

1 - 18 of 18 Posts