Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have an older 125 Aqueon tank. Super thick glass and heavy as %#@$%#. 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 1/2 Anyhow, this is what I have. Just wondering what else I need besides 25 compatible fish. (Later)
Fluval Fx6 and extra media.
Fluval CP4 (To help with water circulation.)
2 - Fluval M300 heaters
80 lbs of black & white Cichlid sand (That stuff that doesn't float away in your filter or up your vacuum tube.)
Plenty of air for bubbles. (Using stones and a few bars.)
Plenty of decorations.
Led lighting.
Just started building my background. (I'll talk about that in another thread soon.)
Also building my own stand and canopy. (Again, in another thread later.)
Lastly, would it speed things up if I put half of my 55 gallons cycled water in it to start?

·
2,088 Posts
Sounds like you have a fun project. re: your last question - no the water will not help the cycle, but if you were able to add extra media to the 55's filter, and move that media to the new tank it would help. The beneficial bacteria are not in the water per se, but rather on the "stuff" in the tank, particularly filter media.

·
Registered
783 Posts
nodima said:
Sounds like you have a fun project. re: your last question - no the water will not help the cycle, but if you were able to add extra media to the 55's filter, and move that media to the new tank it would help. The beneficial bacteria are not in the water per se, but rather on the "stuff" in the tank, particularly filter media.
Just a thought: while it may be true that the beneficial bacteria are on "stuff" and not in the water, one can feel the slimy bio-film that the beneficial bacteria lives in (or actually is) if you run your hand over the inside glass on an established tank.

Why not take an algae scraper and run it across the glass to remove the film from the glass and put it into the water ... just before draining the water and transferring it into the new tank ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be keeping the 55 up and running. Just thought it may help using the water change out of it. I guess it can't hurt? Keeping the meaner fish in it and moving the peacocks, yellow laps to the new one when it's ready. Fish are all small now, but yes, I made the first cichlid tank mistake. Lol! The bright side is I get a bigger better tank.

·
2,088 Posts
wryan said:
nodima said:
Just a thought: while it may be true that the beneficial bacteria are on "stuff" and not in the water, one can feel the slimy bio-film that the beneficial bacteria lives in (or actually is) if you run your hand over the inside glass on an established tank.

Why not take an algae scraper and run it across the glass to remove the film from the glass and put it into the water ... just before draining the water and transferring it into the new tank ?
I don't see why that would not help (but probably would not be enough BB), but since it is so easy to run an extra filter for a couple weeks, I tend to go that route.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't put the water in it to start that will just add in nitrates and lower the ph.

Putting a little gravel from the other tank may help a bit, but I would definitely put in a few small fish like danios first. You can never be sure a fishless cycle is working 100% and if it reverses and starts turning nitrate and nitrites back to ammonia then you will have a lot of dead fish. In such a large tank the small bioload will be perfectly harmless to these tough little fish. The only time I ever lost these guys is due to jumping and very rare cases of being eaten, they hang on for years and years in any tank that had any sore of maintenance.

IMO fishless cycle is best for inverts and salt water where the species in question are both delicate and have a light bioload. It just doesn't make sense for flopping in a dozen or more cichlids in a tank all at once, it's just asking for trouble.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
nodima said:
since it is so easy to run an extra filter for a couple weeks, I tend to go that route.
Plus one. And I add the full bioload on day 1, no problems with the newly established filter. You can test your fishless cycle by adding ammonia and verifying that the beneficial bacterial process it within 24 hours. Then it is safe to add fish.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all! You are the best. I have some media that my lfs guru said to use instead of carbon. (I'm not a fan of carbon) Chemi-pure. Anyone use it?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cyphro said:
chemopure is just carbon with some kind of bioresin stuff and does the same thing.
Ok, something I didn't know. Thanks for that info. Anything else out there to use for media in the fx6 instead of the carbon? Or should I just stick with the chemi-pure?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do. Thanks for the help! It's been raining here for the last week. I can't get my stand built. My 3 1/2 car garage is so full, no cars nor my saws have room to work in it. Lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts