Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a 125 gal. I plan on stocking with 4 Fonts and 4 C. Moorii. I love the look of the DIY backgrounds but am concerned about the amount of space I'll loose if I build one for my tank. Can anyone give me an idea of what the trade off will be? I've run across 3D backgrounds made by AquaTerra that look great and may take up less tank space. Does anyone have any opinion of these?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 5 Fronts in my 125 right now. I understand your issue, but lets be honest here....3D backgrounds rock. I think it'll be just fine....I'm just not good enough to do one myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 125 of fronts myself i have a plain black back ground it looks great with the fish it really brings out there color.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I actually have the same concern. Although I haven't decided on Mbuna or Haps yet. I think with Mbuna you put a ton of rock in anyway, but if I got with non-Mbuna then yea, it seems a shame to have 4-8" of the tank removed. Especially because most 125G tanks are pretty slim to begin with.

But at the same time I dont think you have to make it super thick - or at least not along the whole length of the tank. If you made used thin sheets of foam and glued them together as sandwiches then you can control the thickness of the background to be as thick as you want. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about trying to make a slim background but I'm not real confident I can pull it off. I'm leaning towards AquaTerra background atm. The space loss wouldn't bother me with Mbuna but looking ahead to mature Fronts I want to make sure they wont be crowded. I think I'm going to have to go for it. This is the first time my tank has been empty since I bought it so I don't think I can miss my opportunity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts