Cichlid Fish Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Okay, here's how it ended up looking. Couldn't find my tripod so the pictures may be a bit blurry:

There's an easter egg in the tank. When my rock modules arrived a coworker noted how much they looked like the asteroids in The Empire Strikes Back. So...

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
That is an awesome looking tank and the Millennium Falcon is truly a nice touch! :lol:

What kind of lights are you using? Are those LED pendants?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The lights are Marineland LED Double Brights, if I recall correctly. I bought them so long ago!

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Ah.. Ok.

Ya know, some jungle valisneria would look great in the gap along the back glass...

Also - have you considered what you are stocking it with?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
cantrell00 said:
Ya know, some jungle valisneria would look great in the gap along the back glass...
I might give that a try. I guess the worst thing that can happen is it gets shredded by...

cantrell00 said:
...the 5 species of mbuna I'm putting in there.

1. Labeotropheus fuelleborni
2. Metriaclima sp. "msobo"
3. Pseudotropheus demasoni
4. Pseudotrophues sp. "williamsi north"
5. Labidochromis joanjohnsonae
and the synodontis njassae I have had in my 38 gallon since March.

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
ridley25 said:
cantrell00 said:
I might give that a try. I guess the worst thing that can happen is it gets shredded by...

cantrell00 said:
...the 5 species of mbuna I'm putting in there.

1. Labeotropheus fuelleborni
2. Metriaclima sp. "msobo"
3. Pseudotropheus demasoni
4. Pseudotrophues sp. "williamsi north"
5. Labidochromis joanjohnsonae
and the synodontis njassae I have had in my 38 gallon since March.

kevin
Awesome..

I have actually had pretty decent luck withe the large amazon swords.

Demasoni, huh? Good luck. They frustrated me to no end & I eventually threw in the towel.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Another major stall in my project occurred in October when I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It's really hard to do a fishless cycle when you're in and out of the hospital all the time.

So...I have a bottle of bacteria on hand purchased from a site sponsor, and just finished up my fish order this afternoon. They should arrive Tuesday morning.

I have ordered all juveniles, so I will pull and sell/give away unwanted males until I get to stable ratios.

I already have 6 Synodontis njassae.

Coming on the jet plane are:
12 Labeotropheus fuelleborni "marmalade cats"
12 Labidochromis sp. "hongi" SRT
14 Metriaclima sp. "msobo"
8 Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" Luwala Reef
12 Pseudotropheus sp. "williamsi north"
2 Bristlenose plecos

I am very excited.

kevin

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I wondered what became of your project (I read the early posts in this thread as I was setting my own tank up so I was especially interested).

I hope all is well now with your health.

I look forward to seeing the pics of the tank when it's stocked. It was already looking great.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Fish are due tomorrow.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Tank looks great!!

Pancreatic cancer can be not so good (like any cancer) but I know that can be a really bad one. Some good healing mojo your way!! Will throw some fish mojo in there as well :thumb:

So I didn't see demasoni in the final list, did you axe them out?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Yeah, too many horror stories about demasoni for me to dive in. Plus, to get the desired 12-15 I felt like I needed to buy 20 to be sure...and that was getting too expensive.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The fish are in the tank.

I drove up to the airport yesterday and spent many nervous minutes (hours, actually) in a non-moving cargo pick-up line. Man, those places are a ball of confusion. When it was finally my turn at the counter things were fairly straightforward. I had to walk to another location to pay duty with Canada customs, then pay the delivery company, (for bringing the box all the way from the plane to the building next to the planes :roll: ) then the fish were mine.

Since they were going into an empty tank, I just floated them and then dumped them. Such cute little fishies!

A short (HD) video:

I believe I admitted before that this project has been the opposite of DIY from the get-go: being too unskilled or lazy to do many things myself, I just paid top dollar for someone else to do so. That's a luxury of starting this crazy hobby when you're a well settled 40 year old.

Being a site sponsor, I believe I can mention that these fish came from Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish in San Antonio, Texas. This is mostly for the benefit of all the Canadians on this forum, but Dave certainly delivers to Canada. The cost of my fish was about $600. I paid $103 for shipping to South West Airlines. SW handed the box off to WestJet in Las Vegas. The delivery fee there was $63. The tax from Customs Canada was $77. Just some numbers if you're a Canuck needing a big order of fish that can't be found locally.

Dave, by the way, was great. Helpful and patient on the phone with outstanding follow up. He was keen to hear about the charges and process sending into Canada and was truly apologetic about the second delivery charge. Time will tell if my specimens are top notch, but so far they look a millions times healthier and true-to-type than the stock available at all but of a few LFS here in Toronto - and we have a lot of LFS.

Another video:

Having this tank up and running is a joy. Next comes the maturation of my 56 cichlids, which I'm sure will see many ripped fins but hopefully no deaths as I get the numbers and balance right.

kevin

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Awesome. Got anymore info on those rock modules?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
No DOA's. I had one pleco that looked lifeless, but it's been fine. The mbuna are a little too interested in the plecos for my liking - with the hiding places I've provided I sure hope they don't get nibbled to death. I've never had mbuna kill a pleco in my 4 years doing this, so I'd hate to start now.

As for the question about more info about the rock modules, what did you want to know? Happy to answer any questions I can.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What was used for the bluish background?? Love it and am thinking of incorporating this color with my new tank that appears to have been spray painted black on the back. Is it spray paint or something else? If paint what type? I'd like to not get one that reflects back so to speak. Is there a name to the color/ brand as well?

Got to be up there in the top 5 tanks I have ever seen. I've been thinking of doing a DIY styro/ drylok background, but wasn't too keen on the 3 inches of depth I would need to really make a wall stand out and look visually realistic. As you've mentioned there's some awesome ones out there and some ones that look really "do it yourself", I prefer the awesome ones. Maybe I'll try making styro/ drylok modules instead, don't thing I've seen that done before. Thanks for the inspiration!!

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.