Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's right. From Marineland. Super bright when there's no water in there.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
All except plumbers; I fired up my FX5 last night, which has a split output that runs through an in-line heater, and about half (or more?) of my connections started spraying water.

Being fairly useless I was ready with buckets and towels in case of something like this - I've never drained a tank so fast.

Time to reevaluate my plumbing plans...I'll likely post some pictures in the DIY section when I have a chance in the hopes of getting some assistance.

kevin

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
don't know if it was mentioned, but pretty sure it's required to have the heater verticle, also, with a T, isn't there a chance of non constant water flow? you could end up running your heater and uv dry

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The heater is vertical - that wasn't the problem - I have a lot of tubing and PVC parts to split my output hoses. Many of those connections weren't, and may never be water tight enough.

kevin

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
my honest suggestion.

put a heater behind the rock, sell the inline
get a pump and hose just for the UV, maxijets work great, heck maybe you can even use the maxijet behind the bg, and run the heater and uv off it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It makes sense. Even if I get all these tubes working the way I want them I'll never be able to leave home for a week or two without worrying myself to death about coming home to 125 gallons of spilled water and a bunch of burnt out motors.

I may attach the inline to the Fluval 405 since they both take 5/8 hose. Barring that I will put a heater behind a rock.

The UV is a luxury - I don't really need it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
An update with nothing to update:

Nothing has been torn down and the tank is still happening...eventually.

I may have mentioned that part of my house is being renovated. The plan now is to grab the professional plumber when he's on-site and have him look at it.

Then I'll be back in business, either with the original plan properly executed, or with a submersible heater and no UV sterilizer.

At least I don't have to worry about shipping fish in the cold.

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I've ditched the external heater and the UV.

Going with no UV is not a big deal - I always knew it wasn't necessary - it's for sale!

I managed to squeeze a heater in behind my biggest rock where it can't be seen. It just fits without touching the polystyrene, and there are lots of screened ventilation holes.
It only took a day to get all 125 gallons up to 78 degrees.

I still need to paint the background + one side. I won't post another picture until then because you can see the hoses and it looks awful! My wife keeps asking if it's going to look "like that." No, it's not.

Started cycling yesterday...

kevin

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
For sure. If all goes well from here I just might have finished this over budget, over time and not the way I meant it!

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
For sure. If all goes well from here I just might have finished this over budget, over time and not the way I meant it!
Well... If it met all of those parameters it wouldn't have been nearly as fun!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Wow...I hadn't done anything since May?

A little of this

And this

Got in the way.

Anyhow...I finally painted the background this weekend. I was going for a gradient with a sunlit bright spot, but in the end it just ended up look like dark blue. I painted on plexiglass so if I get bored or my fish don't pop in front of it I can swap it out for something different.

I will post pictures in the next day or two.

kevin

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.