Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently just purchased a 125 gallon tank and will be setting it up for the first time for a Mbuna setup. I need all of your expertise to help me in a couple areas.

First, how should I get the tank stocked? I mean, should I start with a few fish and slowly introduce other groups 1 species at a time, or should I bring lots in at once.

Second, I am hoping for a really nice tank that is going to show nicely with a variety of colors. I am hoping to get some feedback and advice on weather or not the following groupings of Mbuna could work together. I am not sure how many different fish and/or species I can really keep. Here are the groupings I was looking at. Please tell me if you think they will provide good color variety as well as compatibility on other areas.

Iodotropheus sprengerae – Rusty - 2m 4f
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) - Electric Yellow - 2m 4f
Pseudotropheus elongatus "Chalosi" - Chalosi – 2m 4f
Pseudotropheus sp. Acei – 2m 4f
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano - 2m 4f

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just found out that I have a 150 gallon instead of a 125. Not sure if that makes much of a difference. Also, I do not like the look of female rustys but know that red zebras should not be with electric yellows... just in case you have any ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
personally, I like that selection.

It's close to mine, 2/4 may not work well though. Depends on the males.
With a 150, I'd go 2/7 of the 5 species - your tank will be FULL.
Once they're all grown, you can remove troublemakers and not fall below "overstocked" level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much! That was very helpful. I will definitely be looking at this build for the tank. I think your help has really made it possible for me to find a hopefully compatible mix of beautiful fish. Is there a particular order and time frame that I should use for stocking the tank?

Here is my updated list based on some of your suggestions. Hopefully the Msbo will add a little different color to he mix and will not throw off any compatibility issues:

Iodotropheus sprengerae – Rusty - 1m 4f
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove) - Electric Yellow - 2m 6f
Pseudotropheus elongatus "Chalosi" - Chalosi – 1m 7f
Pseudotropheus sp. Acei – 1m 4f
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano - 1m 6f
Metriclima Msbo - 1m 6f

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Msobo females are going to be really close to the yellow labs.

I would pick one or the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.