Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to stock a 125 gallon 6ft by 18 inch footprint tank with African cichlids. I prefer haps and/or peacocks to mbuna because of bigger size and less aggression. What are your suggestions for stocking? I am open to all male or mixed.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
How big are you looking for? Like Nimbochromis venustus for example?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, basically anything that I can mix with peacocks, so Venustus are fine but probably not anything bigger.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
1m:4f of each:
Nimbochromis venustus
Aulonocara jacobfreibergi Eureka
Protomelas spilonotis Tanzania

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In general for this tank size do you prefer breeding groups to all male? That has been the biggest question for me: which of those to pick.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
All male is a difficult tank, but will work in 72".

Read the Cichlid-forum article on all-male tanks for challenges. Have extra tanks, a rehoming plan and don't expect a stable tank for a year or two.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All personal preference. I'm currently transitioning from mbuna to all male peacock/hap. Really depends on what you like and want. A lot more "action" and personality traits I beleive with breeding groups and honestly easier to maintain but for the color and pop in a 125g the all male peacock/hap is hard to beat. Just my 2 cents all personal preference. All male is much more expensive and harder to get everything right but well worth it in my limited experience lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts