Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new 125 for peacocks and haps. Have an ac 110 and getting an fx4. Any suggestions on heaters? Also, is sand more difficult than gravel?

·
2,088 Posts
Nice size tank. I've had great luck with the Eheim/Jager heaters. Sand is easier than gravel actually. Pool Filter sand is fantastic, requires little rinsing, detritus does not generally get deep into it, the fish can easily dig with it, and it is heavy enough that getting it into filters is not a huge issue.

Can't see going with gravel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Many haps will sift through sand, a behavior you will not get with gravel.

If you want to save money compared to pool filter sand, you can get play sand by the 50lb bag at a big box hardware store, but it takes an awful lot of cleaning to get all the fine silt out (and you don't want to skimp on that effort, as the silt will otherwise mean cloudy water and clogged filter). If the effort doesn't bother you, you could probably save close to $50 on a tank that size vs PFS.

Also have had good experience with the Jaeger heaters.

·
Registered
690 Posts
On my old 125g all male peacock / hap tank I used pool filter sand. It was around $9 per 50lb bag and is really clean.

For the filter I had an FX5 with a hydor eth-300 heater plumbed inline with 1" ID hose. I also ran a 3/4" pvc intake and spraybar. It kept the sand spotless.

I'm starting up a 75g tank now, here's what the heater looks like....
1113081-5a64066de09b03b8366ad9cc8343f42b.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Pool filter sand is really cheap, I agree and already clean. Clean it anyway though.

I use the Hydor in-line heaters too, but with a 125G I would want two of them and OP has an HOB for one of his filters. He only has the in-line option for the one canister.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, if you're using the stock FX output nozzle it would probably be better to use two heaters for a more even heat.

If running a spraybar 1-300w inline heater is plenty for a 125g. *depending on your house temp.* I kept my house at 70-72°F and my tank at 79°F.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sub-Mariner said:
On my old 125g all male peacock / hap tank I used pool filter sand. It was around $9 per 50lb bag and is really clean
Where do you find PFS for this price? At the local pool supply store it's 50% more expensive for 50% less sand.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Leslie's.

When I used PFS I always about their southern filter media. That sand was super clean.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Meant to say bought not about

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also use the Hydor 300w in-line heater in a 125 by itself. I run it with a cheap SunSun. I also run a FX6 with a stock output nozzle in the same tank. House at 70. I have two digital thermometers, one at each end of the tank. One closest to output keeps a constant 78.1, the one on the other end of tank keeps a constant 78.3. No problems. I assume the difference is factory calibration. I wouldn't cut your FX4 hose and go buy fittings to fit the Hydor though. Toss a few bucks with the fitting/clamps cost and buy a cheap canister that comes with the same hose size as your heater. No clamps needed. You can then put whatever you want in the extra canister. Whether it be media for emergency tank setup, polishing pads, etc... just my thoughts. You are getting a lot of good options and advice. Good luck with your tank!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As far as the heater thing goes, I run a Hydor 300w heater with an Eheim 2262 on a 210g tank. The room is kept at 68-69f in the winter and the tank is 78-79f.
The Hydor replaced two Eheim 250w heaters when I added a background.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts