Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 125 gallon tank and stand! This is my first tank and I am so excited :fish: ! I bought it used, from craigslist. I am going to get it going with some African Cichlids, probably mbunas. The tank came with 2 Emperor 400's and several little powerheads. Will this filtration be okay or do I need to add anything?

It is not drilled for a overflow or anything, and I really wasn't planning on doing that - will it be okay without an overflow sump?

Allison

·
Registered
183 Posts
The tank came with 2 Emperor 400's and several little powerheads. Will this filtration be okay or do I need to add anything?
Depends on the bio-load, but a turnover of 6-10x tank volume per hour should be okay.

It is not drilled for a overflow or anything, and I really wasn't planning on doing that - will it be okay without an overflow sump?
Sump filtration won't be necessary, although it is a good alternative form of filtration and many would recommend it over hob filters.

·
Registered
222 Posts
get it going with the 2 400's but i have a feeling you might want to add a larger cannister to that, something along the lines of a rena xp3 ehiem 2217 cascade 1500

·
Registered
769 Posts
jcushing said:
get it going with the 2 400's but i have a feeling you might want to add a larger cannister to that, something along the lines of a rena xp3 ehiem 2217 cascade 1500
8) I agree. A quality canister will top that setup off just right. "T"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks guys. I will get it up and going with the 2 400s, and will add the canister soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts