Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice. I am wondering if this tank is set up nicely. If theres anything you want me to change tell me. I can take it into consideration. Also if you know of some crazy looking peacocks to add to my tank hit me up with some names.

Also wondering if you guys know a cheap online source to buy cichlids in CANADA, specifically Toronto... I dont wanna spend 50 dollars for 1 fish including shipping.

Heres pic :)
http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327 ... -00072.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMO a black background would be cool, also some REALISTIC fake plants.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aulonocara_Freak said:
IMO a black background would be cool, also some REALISTIC fake plants.
eh im not a fan on plants as it takes up room. i like it open. i actually have like a sea blue background with like waves . looks pretty cool. will post update later.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Here's the picture instead of hyperlinked so people don't have to click out of the site:

I like the look, +1 on any background, blue, black, whatever hides those wires!

I might try to balance the rocks a little differently. Put the odd ball rock in the middle and two piles of the other rocks on either side, but that's just me! :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
illinois9er said:
I'm not a fan of the stacks of flat rocks, looks way too "structured".
theres not much u can work with as far as slate go. its kind of the look i like and one look that has to happen kind of thing. the peacocks love it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoelRHale said:
Here's the picture instead of hyperlinked so people don't have to click out of the site:

I like the look, +1 on any background, blue, black, whatever hides those wires!

I might try to balance the rocks a little differently. Put the odd ball rock in the middle and two piles of the other rocks on either side, but that's just me! :thumb:
thanks for the link fix :). i took out the big rock to the right. i figured its pointless :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
sunny231 said:
illinois9er said:
I'm not a fan of the stacks of flat rocks, looks way too "structured".
theres not much u can work with as far as slate go. its kind of the look i like and one look that has to happen kind of thing. the peacocks love it.
That is the reason that i don't own any slate. It really comes down to if you want the tank to look natural or mainly be functional for the fish.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know a wholesaler in Innisfil, which is just south of Barrie that have 4 inch colored up peacocks for $10. Also Cam's in Mississauga on Dundas is good, he hooks us up all the time. Hes starting to get more into the Africans and his prices are good. If you need any additional info feel free to PM me. Oh and these are not Online, however not far from you at all.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would paint the back black to hide the equipment and tie/bundle the wires so that they come down the backs of the legs and are not quite so obvious. A fabric skirt around the stand to cover some of the mechanical? Held on with magnets around the top? I like a more "natural" rock look. For that with slate one can just pull some down at angles so the you don't have such a uniform look. Uniform straight lines are almost always man-made. Nature does chaos! I would also move some rocks and make the pile deeper but leave a clear spot between two piles. All this is based on what I would do, not necessarily what I would expect you to do. Feel free to do it the way that fits you !!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a update on some pictures of the tank and fish. Still stocking so ya.

quick question can i mix calvus with haps and mbunas? thinking of get some yellow head calvus. let me know. and how u think the tank is so far.

water got on the background but thts fixable so ignore that :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Looks NICE!

I love it how the rocks on the LEFT look like they were tossed in. IMO you should do that same effect with ALL of the rocks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
then there wont be much hiding spots for all the guys. right now theres enough hiding spots for them all. if i do it random itll cut down on the look. im going to be adding very little plants in eventually. just got to play with it. i might be grabbing a red shoulder peacock today :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
It looks great. However keep an eye on aggression, you have a very mixed tank. Curious where did you get these guys in Toronto and what kind of pricing?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chunkanese said:
It looks great. However keep an eye on aggression, you have a very mixed tank. Curious where did you get these guys in Toronto and what kind of pricing?
right now aggression is very minimal. they all get along. and they got the space to run around and hide. i get my fish from local breeders. i dont know where they get the fish but most of them breed these guys and i just drop by and grab males :) simple. but takes alot of time finding the peacocks i want and traveling etc. Gas is a B**** now :)

thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would not do a calvus in there.

This tank is more like an all peacock, hap, tang, and mbuna. I'm new to Tangs, but I think that Neolamprologus you have is highly aggressive...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RRasco said:
I would not do a calvus in there.

This tank is more like an all peacock, hap, tang, and mbuna. I'm new to Tangs, but I think that Neolamprologus you have is highly aggressive...
ya i decided not to get the calvus.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts