Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 75g mbuna tank for years and have been a long time lurker on the site. Thank you for everything I've learned here. We recently moved houses and I now have the perfect wall for a 6 footer. I am in the process of a fishless cycle on a 72"x18" and trying to nail down my stocking list. In the past I have had more of a mixed tank but this time I would like to have the groupings better thought out so that we can observe the harem activity. I am not interested in keeping fry, and will have have synodontis catfish to help.

I really would like to have Yellow Top Mbamba in this tank and let the rest of the stocking flow from there. Here is what I am thinking:

1:5 Labidochromis sp. 'Mbamba'
1:5 Metriaclima sp. 'Msobo' Magunga
1:4 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos - Maingano
1:4 Iodotropheus sprengerae - Rusty
1:4 Metriaclima/Maylandia estherae - Red Zebra

A few thoughts/questions: I picked the maingano to bring some horizontal striping into the tank. If there is something else that may be a better match? I like the yellow that the female msobo bring but will the blue male be ok with the maingano? As "common" as the rusties are I have never kept any - so I am curious if they will be able to hold their own? Would yellow tail acei be a better match?

Any thoughts on the numbers/ratios or other ideas? This is my first 6 footer and the first time I have started from scratch in 20 years so I am willing to take the time to find the right groups that give nice diversity in the tank without setting myself for any more than "typical" mbuna craziness. I do have a ton of river rock for caves/broken lines of sight.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have read that the females can be brown/drab but numerous videos/photos that I have seen show the females looking relatively good. I will be ordering online so I will not be able to put my eyes on them ahead of time. Do you have a different suggestion for something to give me the blue vertical stripe? I started out thinking white top afra was the way to go but saw the yellow accents on the mbamba and it changed my mind.

Is the M. Sp "Blue Dolphin" Manda an option or will that be problematic in a 125?

·
Super Moderator
40,716 Posts
I'd go with the hara.

You already have two other Metriaclima and people give mixed reviews on the dolphins...many find them skittish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts