Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 125 gal with two canister filters, where do you recommend positioning the two output nozzles relative to the returns? Also do you recommend power heads and if so where would you position it??

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
I put the inputs at 1/3 and 2/3 positions along the back with returns directly over and no power heads.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The input and output for my canister pumps is next to each other in my aquarium. I thought about separating them but it didn't make sense since the intake is low and near the gravel and the output is high and at the surface. I have a powerhead with a filter attachment next to the input/output of one of the pumps.

This is not a recommendation however, it's just how I have it right now.

·
2,106 Posts
I try to get a circular flow across the top of the tank, down the far wall and back across the bottom. To do this, the intakes and returns are positioned at the same end of the tank, intakes low, returns pointed across the top of the tank. I find that any debris seems to settle near the intakes, making cleaning easy. However, in heavily scaped tanks, sometimes additional adjustments are needed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
nodima said:
I try to get a circular flow across the top of the tank, down the far wall and back across the bottom. To do this, the intakes and returns are positioned at the same end of the tank, intakes low, returns pointed across the top of the tank. I find that any debris seems to settle near the intakes, making cleaning easy. However, in heavily scaped tanks, sometimes additional adjustments are needed.
I pretty much do the same as nodima. I do run a powerhead on the same end as output on the opposite side about 6 inches off the bottom to help make a circular flow and it disrupts the debris. When the debris is loose rather than laying, more ends up in my filter and less vacuuming, but sooner cleaning of the filter....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic advice! This makes incredible sense! I was a little reluctant to even post this question since it may at first seem insignificant. But I feel water flow is a key element in the dynamics and synergy of an aquarium. So thank you for discussing this. Let me go out on a limb one more time regarding heater placement. For the 125, I have two 300W titanium heaters. Some recommend a vertical placement, some a horizontal. Your thoughts with these concerning location and positioning?

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
If they are submersible, the choice is cosmetic. EXCEPT, they must be near the filter intake so that all the water in the tank flows over the heater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts