Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Girlfriend is thinking about buying a 125 gal and she would like something to breed! She loves my pairs of Salvini and loved my Texas pair. She loves the parental care, colors, and everything. I was thinking since its her first time spawning and actually she basically just did get into the hobby with a 75 gal!! What a way to start! :thumb: But anyway I thought she should start with a cichlid that is mild manored, easy to breed, and fun to watch with a lot of personality! I was thinking:

Sajica
Rainbow
Cutteri
or something in that nature!

Im I on the right track in helping her? The only problem is Sajica and Cutteri are kinda hard to find and Rainbows are somewhat hard but I do come across them maybe every 3 months. I was curious about how many pairs she could keep! Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How about Nics? I think you could handle a couple of Cutteri and rainbows or Nics in there. I don't have any experience with Sajica though.I think it would really be determined by the dimentions of the tank. Two pairs is certainly do-able with any of the first three I mentioned.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nics are DEFINATELY not found around this area!!! Only one LFS around here know what Nics are and they said "IF we run into them we usually get them in like once a year!!!" The others have no clue!! Also ordering online isn't an option! I went to one of my LFS and they did have a lable for Nicraguense and I asked the manager and he said yeah he showed me the fish that were labled Nics and they were Jaguars!! :roll: Anyway I am not sure on the dimensions. That's basically all I was aiming for was at least 2 pairs! I think it might be a bit much for her if there were more! I was just curious! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think the average 125 would be about 6' in length and roughly 2'x2', or close to it . Unless you are dead set on CAs you might consider some of the smaller SAs . Also if you live anywhere near a large city , it could be beneficial to make a trip there and check out the fish stores. I've found that a couple of hour drive can make a world of difference in the kinds of fish that are available. Just food for thought :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why is ordering online out of the question? I thought it would not be cost effective, but I've found that I can actually save money since the online breeders sell their fish for SO MUCH less than my LFS it covers the shipping costs. I don't know if that's the issue, but I thought I'd just put in my .02 cents.

-Cheryl
:D

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are good thoughts! Well see its her tank and its up to her as to where she wants to get the fish. Which I am thinking that she would rather get them at an LFS than order. She just asked me to choose a good fish for her to breed and I thought it might be a good idea to go as mild as possible and also fish that are good for beginners. Yeah I would LOVE to go up to Chicago and take a look around the LFS's there but I am only 19 years old and I dont think the parents would approve as they aren't really into fish and would see it as a waste of time and a stupid trip to begin with! :roll:

Anyways, I think I might try and see if the one LFS can get a hold of some Sajica for her.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If all you're looking for is fun - and an opportunity to experience the joy of watching how fun and interesting cichlids are, convicts are awesome, and as easy as it gets. If you don't know what to do with the fry, do what I'm planning to do with mine - feed them to larger fish. :D

-Cheryl

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that is BEAUTIFUL!! :eek: :eek:

Yeah she doesn't like Convicts! :lol: I showed them to her one day and she said nope! She likes Texas's, Salvini, Firemouths, Rainbows, Sajica, she somewhat likes Cutteri. She likes color, personality, and she wants to breed something and enjoy breeding the cichlid. Thanks guys for all the input! More is welcome!! :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, if she doesn't like cons, Firemouths are the next best thing. Colorfull( if you can find good ones) , easy to breed ( just add a male and female to your tank) , and relatively peacefull( except when breeding ) . Plus she likes them. Really an all around good first cichlid IMO. With a 125 you would have plenty of room for Sals , Sajica, or even some of the more moderate size cichlids. Just take her to the LFS, and let her choose what she likes . Just be sure help her make an informed choice . That's the real hard part! :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not to be pushy, and of course it's still your/her choice, but I still advocate the online thing. Getting the fish directly from a breeder gives you a lot more selection, and more importantly, a better chance at getting quality fish. You never know where fish at the LFS come from or how pure the bloodline is. Although there's no guarantee that an online seller is honest, if you buy from a reputable seller with lots of good feedback, or years of experience, chances are if they say it's an F1 fish, it's and F1 fish, etc. You're not risking its bloodline being soiled. Plus, most breeders are pretty selective about which fish they breed, only selecting the best specimens. Also, since you're getting it from the breeder you're avoiding the middle man and getting a better price - you might be able to get 3 specimens instead of 2, etc. Again, totally up to you guys, just my .02 cents. Best of luck to you, and I'll be looking forward to hearing what you end up with (and pics too, I hope).

-Cheryl

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Another bonus of getting fish from an online breeder is that they're usually of better quality in terms of coloration and health. You can be sure you're not getting stunted fish =)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll definately talk to her and find out which cichlid she really wants. I was just tossing out ideas that might be fun and easy with not a lot of aggression. But yeah I will definately let you guys know what all goes down! Thanks so much for helping! :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I personally have been thinking of a pair of Rainbows of Sajica. I would prefer the Sajica but am not sure if I will be able to get my hands on them here in Iowa. I am interested to see what you guys go with and how it turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had Sajica and bred them before!! But a Firemouth killed the pair! Here are some pictures of my FAVORITE CA (besides Salvini and Texas cichlids) cichlid of all time!! Seriously Sajica are AMAZING!!

My male

The pair and the Firemouth that killed them!

My male when I first got him!

I love them! But they aren't overly easy to find around here. Like I mentioned theres only one LFS that can get them in and they are the only ones that know what they are!! :roll: Also I have seen them in that LFS maybe 2 times a year if that! [/quote]

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I just talked to her and she doesn't care what I add to the tank except Convicts and she wants something that is in demand and neat to watch! I was looking on Jeff Rapps and seen some Nanoluetus or Yellow Convicts and I think that would AWESOME!! I think they are BEAUTIFUL!! I love the crypto or Archo Family!! And I have always wanted to have them and see them in person! I also love Sajica and Cutteri. I am think though that the yellow convicts would be neat to try and will create a peaceful community for her! She also said that she has no problem with ordering so we might just go for them!! :D Also she said that the 125 will be both of ours and that I could give fry away!! So awesome for that too!! :D

What do you guys think? Does that sound good? I was thinking of some Swordtails or Platies to go along with them? Will that work? Also 2 pairs would work for sure in a 125 right? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Sounds good to me . With the milder manered cichlids and 6ft of tank I think swords and platies would work. Two pairs will be fine in the 125, infact it will probably look empty with 4 smaller cichlids and a group of dithers. :lol: You'll have lots of room so you could think about some other additions as well. Maybe a third pair down the road? :wink: But sounds like your on the right track . :thumb:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts