Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I'm newer to having a larger tank and recently splurged on a 6 ft 125 gal. I'm planning on stocking with cichlids and was think Maybe 5 species of mbunas. I understand you need to overstock to control aggression and wonder if the filtration I got is sufficient. I went with 2 sunsun 304b's rated at 525 gph. I understand that's not the actual rate once you factor media and lift height and did a test when it was all set up. With some math I estimated it's pushing about 211 gph per filter. So that's only 422 gph. I read you should be turning over water 10x per hour and 422 doesn't even come close. Should I be adding maybe another filter? Potentially a hob ac110 or emperor 400? Also it doesn't seem like I'm created enough current, the top ripples a little with the spray bars but not sure if the water is agitated enough. Should I also be getting a powerhead?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Personally - and take this with a grain of salt (my only experience with that filter is on a 55G) - I would say that the filter capacity is plenty adequate ... given that that filter is rated for tanks up to 150G.

I think the observation that you close your post with is probably accurate: possibly not enough water movement.

You may have enough water movement for gaseous exchange at the surface to keep the water adequately oxygenated ... but not enough (or not strong enough) flow to keep the detritus stirred up so that it doesn't settle and can be filtered out.

A powerhead is one option to increase water movement, additional filters, or even air stones are another.

You didn't mention the location and height of the filter intakes.

High ? ... low ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one one each side under the tank. Intake for each filter is about 10 inches from each side of the tank and output is connected to spray bar that goes towards the center. I have the input about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom

·
2,088 Posts
I'd tend to agree with wryan, the capacity of the filters is likely fine. Really, the two ways to know is measure your water parameters and ensure that they are at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and manageable nitrates. Secondly, the eye test, is there a lot of visible detritus floating around the tank?

In terms of locating filter intakes and outlets, it often comes down to a lot of experimentation to determine the right placement in a tank, as each tank is unique in terms of hardscape, which can block flow. I've had the best success trying to emulate a gyre, where all the intakes are low at one end of the tank, and the flow directed across the top of the tank away from the intakes. This causes a flow across the top of the tank(away from intakes), down the far side, and then back across the bottom towards the intakes. If the filters are not powerful enough, additional circulation (powerhead) can be added to augment this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use Sunsun 304b's on two of my tanks and I get far more flow than you are indicating, I'm guessing at least 400-450gph from each filter. I don't use the spray bars though, I have found them to be restrictive.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Old Newbie said:
I use Sunsun 304b's on two of my tanks and I get far more flow than you are indicating, I'm guessing at least 400-450gph from each filter. I don't use the spray bars though, I have found them to be restrictive.
I haven't been using the spray bar with mine, but I think I am seeing a lot more flow as well - more along the lines of what you are seeing/guessing ... at least until the filter pads get loaded up.

I was running two of the included filter pads in each of the bottom two trays initially.

I've now switched that out to a piece of 2" thick coarse foam (10 ppi ?) in the bottom tray and two of the filter pads in the next to the bottom tray, small lava rock in the top two for bio media.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts